MEMBERS
  1. Supergirl.tv Admin
  2. Sherlock Holmes The Voice Notable Answerer
  3. Supergirl General Discussion
  4. Friday, 14 July 2017
By now, if you are an active member in the Supergirl fandom community, you are undoubtedly aware that there is a lot going on with the Supergirl fan base. Division, attacks, collusion, planning, tweeting, posting, retaliation and so on. There is much that is dragging our fandom's reputation through the mud.

I want to give you a place where you all can come and discuss what is going on but I am going to set up some additional ground rules for this thread to help keep things more friendly because this could get out of hand very fast.

FIRST: There is a very easy tendency to make claims against certain groups that will generalize that group to a particular opinion. Please don't do this. For example: (Olicity "Oliver and Felicity shippers" all hate Laurel). That is clearly not true and no one could ever possibly know that. Its a sweeping generalization that causes those that are Olicity members who don't hate Laurel to become defensive. So please don't use sweeping generalizations in your observations.

SECOND: As much as possible, temper your emotions and take a moment to breathe before responding. We are discussing complex, difficult issues here. Issues that are reflected in the real world and have very real consequences. We are discussing topics here that have deep personal connections to a wide variety of people. You'll never know if your comment, however innocent you may feel it is, actually affects someone on the other side of the screen. So let's take a moment to note that these issues are very VERY complex and require care when brought up in conversation. Breathe and above all, be respectful.

FINALLY: My scrutiny meter on these posts is going to be at a maximum on this. If I feel, for whatever reason, that a post is in anyway hurtful, derogatory or attacking I am just going to delete it. I'll start tossing posts like Kobe hits three pointers (I'm not a basketball guy I have no idea if that analogy makes sense).

ADDITIONAL: (1) when speaking of LGBT+ to not make general assumptions about the community, especially for those not a part of it and (2) users who aren't LGBT+ should avoid speaking on behalf of the community.

Please be respectful and uphold the reputation of this site as a bright spot in the Supergirl fan community.
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Now the incident is on PinkNews. Article clearly written by someone with no insight into the state of the fandom and nature of the show.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/07/24/supergirl-cast-accused-of-mocking-lgbt-fans/

The actual hell.
Votes
Undo
Steven 32 you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks

Argo
A journey of 1,000 KM, begins with one step.
Votes
Undo
Screenshot some of the foul comments being made to David Harewood on his Twitter for simply responding to a fan who said, "Hang in there Space dad, we love you." To which he simply responded... ready for this?... "Will do." (I edited a few words)

20170725_102149.png

20170725_101536.png

20170725_101442.png
Attachments (3)
Votes
Undo
Well, the cast, aside from Mehcad, is probably done with social media for a while. And I don't blame them. The comments they've gotten are 1000x worse than anything they actually did or said.

Poor Melissa. She finally starts to come out of her shell, on social media, after being pretty much silent for 2 seasons, and these jerks rip her apart. I honestly wish people could disable comments on twitter and instagram.

You can disable comments on Instagram but unfortunately not for Twitter.
Votes
Undo
Not to go OT here, but I note in the post a button that says "Accept Answer." What will happen if one clicks it?
Votes
Undo
Not to go OT here, but I note in the post a button that says "Accept As Answer." What will happen if one clicks it?
Votes
Undo
And for a different perspective than anyone else. I am deeply disappointed in what the cast did. And I know many others are also. But does that deserve the hate they received, absolutely not. A lot of people have reached out respectfully to the cast to let them know what the real issue is. This is not just about SC shippers. A lot of LGBT fandoms from other shows have also voiced their disappointment in what the cast did. I will not get into that here because that is not the point of my post. I just want to voice my opinion that people have a right to be hurt and to say they are is not wrong. Many have been respectful without the hate. The hate just gets more attention.

I hear you, and I respect your feelings on it....I disagree with you, but I respect how you feel. The problem however is, it has gone far beyond..."they are the ones getting the attention", that has been the reasoning for months now. That reasoning has gotten those of you who are fans of Lena nowhere. They are getting the attention because ANY, AND AT THIS POINT ANYthing that these actors post on Instagram or Twitter is then inundated with the hate, with MAYBE 2 people that believe as you do calling for calm. It went beyond that weeks ago.

What if, just a what if....Jeremy had said in his song...and then Lena and Kara became good friends, so please stop harassing us on Twitter and Instagram and let us post in peace with all the fans....do you think that would have been allowed to pass? I think not, we would have the same exact thing as we have now. Had they left just the first part of what I said....the same thing would have happened. HAD THEY SAID NOTHING at all about Lena and Kara, that would have triggered hate as well. The Sanvers crowd was upset that Maggie and Alex weren't mentioned in the song....

When you have a group of people that simply want to spew hate, anything will set that off. And we have proof after proof after proof of that.

So, though you totally....YOU TOTALLY have my respect in what you are feeling.... unless your side of this fandom doesn't speak up louder........this will continue and it will no longer be a "they hijacked our fandom" it will be "guilt by association"....In that song, they weren't disrespecting you, they were confronting (FOR THE FIRST TIME I MIGHT ADD) that faction of the fandom that has shown them nothing but disrespect, threats and harassment. Did they mean to come off in a disrespectful way to you? Of course not...but to you they did, and that's a problem, but you will never get redemption in this as a fandom because this group that you say gets the attention, once this dies down, will find something new....it will be in a look from Melissa at Katie in an interview that means absolutely nothing, it will be in a rumor made up by someone to forward their narrative, but it will happen again. That I am totally sure of. I wish soooo much that this fandom was unified in its love for Supergirl, that is where I stand and will continue to stand. But the...."That's them......" narrative just does not go very far with me anymore. I'm sorry....

One point I would like to make is that my favorite character on the show is Kara and it has been since season 1. I don't really appreciate the "you Lena fans" comment. Do I need to start saying "you Monel" fans? So don't act like you know why I watch the show.
And for all of you griping about people thinking that their view is the only one that is right, there is a lot of that going around on the board. And I'm not saying I'm right but ya'lls opinion is no better than mine.

Can you point me to where I said..."you Lena fans"...the reason I said those of you who are fans of Lena, is because what I have seen from you here, that is what I saw, it looked to me that you were a fan of Lena. I'm a fan of Lena as well...but more so of the entire cast, I think they have done a fantastic job putting this group of actors together...I apologize for not reading that correctly, no disrespect was meant by it. As far as opinion, I'm simply saying that we differ in opinion, and actually my post had nothing to do with the "difference in opinion" I just wanted to be totally upfront as to where I was coming from....I am totally not getting where you got that from my post. Wow...

ok.....

PS....making a note......Kara is your favorite. :)
Votes
Undo
@Kelly,

How do we go about that rally? Should we use that image in our tweets and posts?
Votes
Undo
@squishpanda

Holy Moly, I couldn't have said it better. I am truly sorry for the respectful people who felt hurt, but yeah...I truly believe this was a clap back at the toxic segment of the SC fandom that has been harassing the cast (and that's putting it lightly) for MONTHS. And for the cast to get that sort of harassment from a group, for months on end, and not be expected to do anything about it is unreasonable. Like us, they are human, and their feelings get hurt by that endless harassment.
Votes
Undo
Yes! I was told that I don't have privileges to complete the action too! (For Accept as Answer button).
Supersad! To tempt us with this button, and then say, "We don't have the privileges". :p

I agree with what Admin said. And, thank you! :)

And... yes.. I'd like to show support for the cast too. I do have context, and have been following them for the past two seasons. I do not think they are homophobic. Quite the opposite in fact. Very supportive. And I feel for them.

For the first time in many months, I searched for Supergirl tag in twitter and all I found was harsh and painful comments directed at the cast. And, they do not deserve that. In no way.

I think many of the LGBT folks who are speaking out (even a bit) harshly against the cast don't have the context that you guys and the cast have. And, we have.

I did speak to a writer (and fan) about how what they (cast) did was not right, but they didn't know the context and it was definitely not homophobic. And that they are human and everyone makes mistakes. And, it was understandable.

And she said she agrees, but can't write an article about it because at this point, it would just fan the flames.

I agree because, that is what I have seen even with reviews such as for Wonder Woman over there. The comment thread for these articles become battlefields for opinions; and even the article writers get attacked for being racist or something else (because well, homophobia cannot be directed at them). Truly, at times,even homophobia is directed at them. (Also, FYI, these hateful tweets or any SG mention at all (except, "I am not giving up on the show";), I didn't see in her twitter threads. In any of theirs, really.)

As for me, as I have mentioned before, I follow very few folks on tumblr and one or two on twitter. And I have seen them (fair disclosure, none of them are SC, but most are LGBT) speak out against this attack on the cast. And I know from experience that in tumblr, you get hate even if you are nobody and you are just speaking in favour of something. Even if it is just a ship nobody else ships, you get hate. Hell, if you are just writing for your satisfaction, you get hate from people who want you to write for them (for free).

So, there is limited speaking up and corralling that you can do. Hence, this "one bad apple (or a large very visible number) spoils the lot" is kind of painful to hear. As is, folks saying, paraphrased, that it is your own fault at this point for not coming down on them hard. Silence is sanction, so to speak.

We are not apples. (Though, my sis tells me that I look like an apple ;) )

Would you, those on both the left and the right, like to be held responsible for those of your members who have done everything from terrorism to online harassment to assault in the name of the values that either of your political parties hold true? Sometimes not even in the name of values but mere events that they didn't agree with. (I am not being hyperbolic here. Twitter war is nowhere near terrorism but, acts of assault and terror have been committed in the name of both sides in politics and such.)

Because, honestly, I don't hold you responsible. However, it feels like some of you guys are doing it to us. ("Feels like" being the operative word here. That may not be your intention. In which case, I apologise if you feel attacked.)

(In fact, I know the cast got a lot of hate last year during election for their open comments on the election.)

I don't want a political discussion here. And I used this example only because the online vitriol I see is something that I have seen in the political arena too.

Sigh!

The point is. There is limited speaking up for cast that we can do. We do what we can. Being LGBT doesn't mean our words have more value than yours in this case.

Anyways, twitter rally sounds great, because I for one would love to see something positive on my twitter feed directed towards the cast.

And now; God! I'd really like us to move on.
Votes
Undo
Thanks for the tweet Kelly. I have retweeted in my twitter and embedded in my tumblr.

As well as a few really decent tweets from Jeremy.
Votes
Undo
@ Gavagai : Thank you for the video, it was painful and instructive to watch.
@ SSAV : Thank you for your statement you moved me.
@ Admin (Eric) : Thank you for your recapitulation of the events.

At that point im' just sad for everybody. Anyway i'm sending love to everyone (no exception).
I would spend all of my days on set watching the show being made
Votes
Undo
@Kelly,

How do we go about that rally? Should we use that image in our tweets and posts?

On twitter, Instagram and tumblr use it as your profile pic.....if you are tweeting something that you think is important and is a high five to the cast, or a cast member, you can put attach it to your tweet. You use it however you want..... ;)

Kelly, what is this rally, campaign you speak off? Can you provide some background to it.
I've been living under a rock all week with a family emergency and came on today to catch up on SDCC, and WOW, JUST WOW. I'm just starting to get a grasp of it all. I'm still completely gobsmacked by how this have blow up. Right now, I'm actually quite depressed by how the cast is being bombarded with so much vicious hate. I'm not a social media person, so it baffles me.

But THIS, this might actually get me on it just to join in a supportive rally for the cast. Especially Melissa, who, as the lead seems be be getting the brunt of it. Poor Kid. It really couldn't happen to a nicer, more generous actor and person.

I really haven't caught up most of it yet, so I probably can't speak accurately to it, but it seems like a lot of misinformation is out there too. Then bringing up stuff that has nothing to do with this particular incident just to attack a cast member. What a horrible way to end the event. :(

It's not like a MASSIVE MOVEMENT or anything...lol Many of us on Social Media are just tired of going back and forth with people. People have their opinions and they are free to have them....so when we see a negative opinion we simply post a positive, we retweet and like the positive stuff on the cast, and many of us have changed our profile pics to the one I posted here and we post the pic whenever we see negative as well. So it's not about making a HUGE IMPACT, it is simply about showing our support of this cast. That's all.....
Votes
Undo
Also, whoever is using the Profile Pic I posted make sure that you either don't crop the watermark out, OOOOR, give https://twitter.com/samayerswrites credit, he is the one that created it. Doing both would be great, but if you have to crop it, somehow give him credit for it please.

Thank you!
Votes
Undo
"Don't generalize"
"Y'all all love Mon-El"

It's one of the most annoying things that I feel some people try to turn it into a situation where people MUST agree that Mon-El is the devil himself otherwise the alternative is you must blindly love him.

I think there are a lot of people who casually rather than deeply, viscerally don't like Mon-El, or are indifferent to him or think he's just so-so.

But this way, people get thrown into the Mon-El lover camp just for not agreeing with all of the accusations agianst him.

I'm pretty sure in a world where everybody loved Mon-El, I'd be considered a hater for how I view him and talk about him.
Votes
Undo
I mean granted, I do like Mon-El XD

But, as in like how a normal person sees a character on TV and goes, I like that one. Not in the toxic, shipping, kind of way.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!