MEMBERS
  1. Supergirl.tv Admin
  2. Sherlock Holmes The Voice Notable Answerer
  3. Supergirl General Discussion
  4. Friday, 14 July 2017
By now, if you are an active member in the Supergirl fandom community, you are undoubtedly aware that there is a lot going on with the Supergirl fan base. Division, attacks, collusion, planning, tweeting, posting, retaliation and so on. There is much that is dragging our fandom's reputation through the mud.

I want to give you a place where you all can come and discuss what is going on but I am going to set up some additional ground rules for this thread to help keep things more friendly because this could get out of hand very fast.

FIRST: There is a very easy tendency to make claims against certain groups that will generalize that group to a particular opinion. Please don't do this. For example: (Olicity "Oliver and Felicity shippers" all hate Laurel). That is clearly not true and no one could ever possibly know that. Its a sweeping generalization that causes those that are Olicity members who don't hate Laurel to become defensive. So please don't use sweeping generalizations in your observations.

SECOND: As much as possible, temper your emotions and take a moment to breathe before responding. We are discussing complex, difficult issues here. Issues that are reflected in the real world and have very real consequences. We are discussing topics here that have deep personal connections to a wide variety of people. You'll never know if your comment, however innocent you may feel it is, actually affects someone on the other side of the screen. So let's take a moment to note that these issues are very VERY complex and require care when brought up in conversation. Breathe and above all, be respectful.

FINALLY: My scrutiny meter on these posts is going to be at a maximum on this. If I feel, for whatever reason, that a post is in anyway hurtful, derogatory or attacking I am just going to delete it. I'll start tossing posts like Kobe hits three pointers (I'm not a basketball guy I have no idea if that analogy makes sense).

ADDITIONAL: (1) when speaking of LGBT+ to not make general assumptions about the community, especially for those not a part of it and (2) users who aren't LGBT+ should avoid speaking on behalf of the community.

Please be respectful and uphold the reputation of this site as a bright spot in the Supergirl fan community.
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
thing is Mon-El isnt the real problem, he is simply the the current target because he happens to be in the way of an agenda campaigned by the supercorp fandom. Anyone in the way of that agenda gets attacked. I point to Jack Spheer played by Rahul Kohli as evidence who expressed his distaste for some of those fans because he received enough hate during his 1 episode stint to make a public statement.

I've been seeing this a lot lately, talk of an agenda. What agenda? I don't understand what people are considering their "agenda" to be?

For Lena and Kara to be a relationship on screen so they can have their ship
Votes
Undo
I didn't see any hate or alarming items in the thread here so I let it go. Folks have continued to be passionate about their opinions but so far the name calling, attacks and snide comments seem to have been respectful. Of course I request that at any point if any of you feel things are getting out of hand to email me right away at the contact page and I will get on it asap.

As for the Mon-El character analysis going on. I don't mind it here. I think that because it is a large source of the division in the fandom, it's ok to talk through. Respectfully of course.

Although I realize his character is a big reason for the hate plaguing the fandom, I thought the thread was meant to focus on the bad behavior of fans, not him.

Mon-El is a very touchy subject here. There are some very passionate opinions surrounding him and I didn't want to see the discussion around the toxicity of our fandom and how to change it turn into an internet fight over him. That was my only concern.

thing is Mon-El isnt the real problem, he is simply the the current target because he happens to be in the way of an agenda campaigned by the supercorp fandom. Anyone in the way of that agenda gets attacked. I point to Jack Spheer played by Rahul Kohli as evidence who expressed his distaste for some of those fans because he received enough hate during his 1 episode stint to make a public statement.
just want to point out, and I know it's easy to forget to make the distinction, it's not the whole Supercorp group. There are actually many that are just as upset as everyone else.

I did say 'some of those fans'.

people can vote down my reply all they want, thats ok I dont mind being the unpopular opinion in the room. I will be the voice for those that fear a backlash.
Votes
Undo

I've been seeing this a lot lately, talk of an agenda. What agenda? I don't understand what people are considering their "agenda" to be?
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
Votes
Undo
He is the reason behind some of the SC shippers actions though, is he not? All of the anger coming from them stems from his character, correct? I stand by my statement in saying that he is the biggest reason for the turmoil in the fandom; because all of the hate and clashing going on among fans leads directly back to him.

I'm not saying any of what's been happening is right. It's not, it's awful. But not only do those people need to accept that not everyone shares their opinion but you too need to accept that not everyone shares your opinion. Yes, there are fans who like Mon-El, but there are also fans who don't. If you'd like to discuss more about him Admin just created a new topic thread. There you can share your opinions on him as a character with others.

He is not the reason. The reason is some of the SC fandom. That has been acting extremely immature and selfish and with no regard for people with other opinions than them. They have taken their assults to the writers, actors just because they want to control everything. Its not right. They really need to accept that not all have their opinion and that there is also many that like Mon-El.

Although I realize his character is a big reason for the hate plaguing the fandom, I thought the thread was meant to focus on the bad behavior of fans, not him.

Mon-El is a very touchy subject here. There are some very passionate opinions surrounding him and I didn't want to see the discussion around the toxicity of our fandom and how to change it turn into an internet fight over him. That was my only concern.
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
Votes
Undo
I didn't see any hate or alarming items in the thread here so I let it go. Folks have continued to be passionate about their opinions but so far the name calling, attacks and snide comments seem to have been respectful. Of course I request that at any point if any of you feel things are getting out of hand to email me right away at the contact page and I will get on it asap.

As for the Mon-El character analysis going on. I don't mind it here. I think that because it is a large source of the division in the fandom, it's ok to talk through. Respectfully of course.

just want to point out, and I know it's easy to forget to make the distinction, it's not the whole Supercorp group. There are actually many that are just as upset as everyone else.
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo
VeeJer: I hope this doesn't come off as rude but this really isn't the place for character discussions. I'm sure if you started a new topic there would be plenty of people on this site willing to exchange views/opinions with you

admin said he was going to monitor the thread closely. he's got it under control.

Admin hasn't been online though. So they haven't been monitoring this thread recently.
To be clear, I don't have to be "online" to moderate. Everything that happens on the site is sent to me for me to review. I didn't see any hate or alarming items in the thread here so I let it go. Folks have continued to be passionate about their opinions but so far the name calling, attacks and snide comments seem to have been respectful. Of course I request that at any point if any of you feel things are getting out of hand to email me right away at the contact page and I will get on it asap.

Finally, on a side note, kelsey and we're out and about today trying to buy up as many comic con TV guides with Supergirl on them as possible. Maybe we can get them signed at SDCC
Votes
Undo
I wish I lived there with you...... :(

http://i65.tinypic.com/1rs18z.gif

Love it, If i recall correctly in one of the S1 episodes Cat bought Kara a drink that had pumpkin added to it.

"Spiced Pumpkin, extra foam with a little cinnamon sprinkled on top..." yes....
Votes
Undo
Can we do one thing before proceeding!? Can others please stop saying there's a Supergirl "fandom" problem? Because there's not. Us SUPERGIRL fans are over here doin just... fine. Please leave the Supergirl fandom out of the messes and bickerings.

Please and thanks *goes back to enjoying other fans, views, theories, predictions, Supergirl updates, and all cast members*

I wish I lived there with you...... :(

http://i65.tinypic.com/1rs18z.gif
Votes
Undo
I actually find this saddening, has my favourite ever fictional character and TV series been reduced to shipping wars?. While I'm aware (through others on this site) of what goes on out in Social Media land it's probably something I had hoped could be avoided here, have a sheltered existence.

I think I'll just stick to enjoying the TV show and what I love about Supergirl, that being her good-hearted nature, optimism and of course the awesome heroine she is.

You seem to be missing the point that some are making. You can dislike a character without it being about a ship. Yes, there is definitely a shipping war but a few people on here just don't like Monel (no ship involved).

apparently discussing Mon-El negatively is just fine, but sharing a positive opinion about the man is something that must be snuffed out.

totally not trying to start a fight .... but I got shut down (in a very respectfully way so no hard feelings) for discussing him negatively in this thread so I don't think this is accurate.
Votes
Undo
I actually find this saddening, has my favourite ever fictional character and TV series been reduced to shipping wars?. While I'm aware (through others on this site) of what goes on out in Social Media land it's probably something I had hoped could be avoided here, have a sheltered existence.

I think I'll just stick to enjoying the TV show and what I love about Supergirl, that being her good-hearted nature, optimism and of course the awesome heroine she is.

You seem to be missing the point that some are making. You can dislike a character without it being about a ship. Yes, there is definitely a shipping war but a few people on here just don't like Monel (no ship involved).

apparently discussing Mon-El negatively is just fine, but sharing a positive opinion about the man is something that must be snuffed out.

I don't think that's what they meant. I think they were just pointing out that some of the dislike for Mon-El has nothing to do with ships as there are a few people who believe the dislike for him stems directly from shipping when that's not always the case.
Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo
Can we do one thing before proceeding!? Can others please stop saying there's a Supergirl "fandom" problem? Because there's not. Us SUPERGIRL fans are over here doin just... fine. Please leave the Supergirl fandom out of the messes and bickerings.

Please and thanks *goes back to enjoying other fans, views, theories, predictions, Supergirl updates, and all cast members*
Votes
Undo
the fandom will never be positive as long as this continues because this group ensures they spread their hatred everywhere, every hour, every minute.

We were brainstorming ideas yesterday to try and combat the rampant hate going on. If any of you have ideas/suggestions to help drown out the ugliness in the fandom please feel free to share with the rest of us. The more love and positivity we spread the better.
Votes
Undo
I had a long response but I axed it to say that there's a very aggressive hate campaign against Mon-El and the fandom will never be positive as long as this continues because this group ensures they spread their hatred everywhere, every hour, every minute.

And I suspect that even if Mon-El leaves, this will continue because this same group started a hate campaign when the Jack character played by Rahul was announced. We can't dismiss their actions when a one-episode actor had a negative experience with them.

I'm not trying to be defeatist but I don't think this fandom can turn back time as long as these shippers remain.

All characters have their detractors and I'm sure he'd still have had his without this but these shippers have taken it to an unbearable level. That's why I prefer to go to comic book sites like this to read recaps and comments because they aren't filled with shipper rhetoric, although I think one of the polls attracted more shippers to this site so I hope next season won't be different.
Votes
Undo
I hope this doesn't come off as rude but this really isn't the place for character discussions. I'm sure if one of you started a new topic there would be plenty of people on this site willing to exchange views/opinions with

OK - no worries - I was responding to something on this thread (which is what actually motivated me to comment initially) that others had responded to so figured it was an Ok place. Either way is cool though so thanks fo the heads up.

I understand. Mon-El is a hot button topic and everyone here has an opinion on him. I just think it'll be better to separate the discussions as things can get heated rather quickly.
Votes
Undo
I hope this doesn't come off as rude but this really isn't the place for character discussions. I'm sure if one of you started a new topic there would be plenty of people on this site willing to exchange views/opinions with

OK - no worries - I was responding to something on this thread (which is what actually motivated me to comment initially) that others had responded to so figured it was an Ok place. Either way is cool though so thanks fo the heads up.
Votes
Undo
VeeJer: I hope this doesn't come off as rude but this really isn't the place for character discussions. I'm sure if you started a new topic there would be plenty of people on this site willing to exchange views/opinions with you

admin said he was going to monitor the thread closely. he's got it under control.

Admin hasn't been online though. So they haven't been monitoring this thread recently.
Votes
Undo

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!