MEMBERS
  1. Kiwi
  2. Motivator Smile Seeker Love Fool
  3. Supergirl Season 4
  4. Sunday, 21 April 2019
This thread covers Episodes 18 to 22 of Season 4. One may also want to include a overall review of Season 4 after it's conclusion.
Attachments (2)
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Attached is the full Spoiler TV article on Chyler Leigh's performance in Episode 21.
References
  1. https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/06/performers-of-month-staff-choice-most.html
Votes
Undo
For me, as a fan, I don't want her to go to Broadway. I want her on tv and movie where I actually get to see her and her work on a regular basis :p :p

You and me both. Although if she did decide to be a regular on Broadway I would definitely consider another visit (last there in 2007) to New York City, I would love to watch Melissa perform live. It will certainly be interesting to see where her career takes her after Supergirl is finished. If Supergirl concludes with Season 7 Melissa will be 33 which may possibly be baby time if she and Chris want to have a family. I'd kinda like to see Melissa in a network comedy series where we still get to watch her approx. 23 times a year. She certainly has the talent for Comedy as she does for Drama.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
For me, as a fan, I don't want her to go to Broadway. I want her on tv and movie where I actually get to see her and her work on a regular basis :p :p
Well I have to agree with you there, but hey she can do all of the above.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Oh yes, there is a definite bias towards Chyler from the staff there...I guess playing 2 different characters, speaking 2 languages flawlessly and doing it all with poise and gravitas isnt enough for them...lol...but whateva, I'm looking forward to Melissa's Oscar one of these days...lol
The stage may be where Melissa chooses to go, Broadway loved her. A Tony Award is a realistic possibility. However with the right part she could be an Oscar contender. RAO knows with the Emmy’s bias against CW actors and syfy/action shows she won’t get the recognition she deserves on that front.

If Chris continues to write as he is doing, then they could live anywhere....so yes, New York would be a definite. She has never been one to really talk about children, it seems their dogs are their children, so I'm not sure if time would be taken for that...the sky is the limit for her, so whatever path she takes my hope is that it is far away from anything that has "shipping" involved....lol
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Oh yes, there is a definite bias towards Chyler from the staff there...I guess playing 2 different characters, speaking 2 languages flawlessly and doing it all with poise and gravitas isnt enough for them...lol...but whateva, I'm looking forward to Melissa's Oscar one of these days...lol
The stage may be where Melissa chooses to go, Broadway loved her. A Tony Award is a realistic possibility. However with the right part she could be an Oscar contender. RAO knows with the Emmy’s bias against CW actors and syfy/action shows she won’t get the recognition she deserves on that front.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
Chyler finished 5th in Fan voting but was awarded best performer of May 2019 by Spoiler TV's staff. Here's what they had to say about Chyler:

"In the second half of Season Four, Supergirl writers and producers undertook their riskiest storyline yet. The Alex Danvers mind-wipe storyline featured two of the show’s strongest performers in an arc that rattled the foundation of and will ultimately strengthen the show’s most important relationship, the Danvers sisters. The storyline is brought to a powerful conclusion in one of the penultimate episodes of the season, Red Dawn (4x21). In Red Dawn, Alex Danvers regains her memories of her sister as Supergirl and fights to save her life. Chyler Leigh, as Alex gives an emotionally charged and heart-wrenching virtuoso performance that brought many to tears more than once when it aired and has rightfully earned her the honor of SpoilerTV’s Staff Choice Performer of the Month for May."

A more detailed article on Chyler will follow toward the end of June.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
I think the folks at Spoiler TV may limit good acting to only the one with tears.

I am not taking away from Chyler's acting, by the way. I mean I love Chyler as well as her acting.

Just that, there are so many things that could be considered good acting--good comedy; good shows of anger, confusion, stoicism; however, the impression seems to be that only ones that make you cry is good acting. May be not just spoiler TV, but in general.

Eh! Melissa seems to get accolades from avenues like Saturn Awards, so Spoiler TV picking Chyler more could be just considered as the way things are. Everyone has their favourites.

And there is no dearth of acknowledgement for Melissa.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
Chyler finished 5th in Fan voting but was awarded best performer of May 2019 by Spoiler TV's staff. Here's what they had to say about Chyler:

"In the second half of Season Four, Supergirl writers and producers undertook their riskiest storyline yet. The Alex Danvers mind-wipe storyline featured two of the show’s strongest performers in an arc that rattled the foundation of and will ultimately strengthen the show’s most important relationship, the Danvers sisters. The storyline is brought to a powerful conclusion in one of the penultimate episodes of the season, Red Dawn (4x21). In Red Dawn, Alex Danvers regains her memories of her sister as Supergirl and fights to save her life. Chyler Leigh, as Alex gives an emotionally charged and heart-wrenching virtuoso performance that brought many to tears more than once when it aired and has rightfully earned her the honor of SpoilerTV’s Staff Choice Performer of the Month for May."

A more detailed article on Chyler will follow toward the end of June.
References
  1. https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/06/performers-of-month-may-2019-voting.html
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
Spoiler TV's Performer of the Month May 2019 has Chyler Leigh as one the 10 actors for her performance in Episode 21 'Red Dawn'. Go and give her a vote
Melissa isn't????? What the heck? SMH...
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo
Ooooh, and also, you don't screw around with comic book fans by pushing a story line like Red Daughter only to rush it at the end of the season. They do not take well to that at all....and they do leave series for stuff just like that.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Was talking to a student today.... What a totally depressing "life" Red Daughter had--experienced no love, was brutally betrayed and viciously rejected by Lex who she came to love as family, had her country defeated, never knew Mikhail was alive, and then killed. Seriously though, in the end, for as HYPED up as the whole story line was at Comic Con, despite Melissa's brilliant acting, the storyline was a total dead end. Never even got to interact with any of our heros, except Kara--especially never really interacting with Alex as herself.
Yah I think the EPs bit off more than could be chewed with RD. Underestimation of how much of Mel’s time such as working with the language coach could’ve been a factor. Plus showing more of RDs “life” would’ve required casting more Kasnians. One scene with our Alex would’ve been nice.

As far as SDCC it might be a good to take what’s said there with a healthy dose of skepticism. There’s things meant to intentionally mislead along with actual information, they want to present the illusion of information while giving away as little as possible. I believe the actors truly don’t know too much more than they say, they can’t leak what they don’t know. At least with filming starting earlier than ever we should be able to have a good trailer. Things like the theme we’re gonna get but anything else I’m considering fluff. My biggest hope for SDCC is it’s not dominated by CoIE.

I ended this season far different than I have any other. It was a sense of real sadness at how life ended for Red Daughter, and YES, the fact that there was really no closure to it. It was almost like, ooooh crap, we have to do something with this Red Daughter storyline. I didn't necessarily need a scene with RD and Alex, IMO what RD needed from Alex she saw in Alex's reaction to Supergirl dying. That to me was all that was needed to realize her Alex was far different than Kara's Alex, and they did that. What I did want however, is a scene between Kara and Red Daughter where Kara changes Red Daughter's outlook, that would have probably been at the expense of the scene between Red Daughter and Lex after he has captured her. As gut wrenching of a scene as that was, it was spectacular. To me, a scene of Kara releasing all the prisoners would have been much better, maybe swoop in last minute as the LAST BIT OF POWER NEEDED to overload the system, she opens up Red Daughter's pod, RD apologizes, and Kara just hugs her. As simple as that....then takes off. Continues the fight with Lex, and RD can still fly in at the last moment to save Kara and they are now even. As far as Mikhail, I just think they used that as the catalyst to RD's anger, and really did not think through any kind of consequences from that.

As much as it looks like the EPs and writers had a clear blue print, I think their blue print should have begun the real RD part of the storyline much earlier and threw out episodes like Menagerie, and the season as a whole would have been far and away better than it was, IMO. AND I wouldn't have had the scene that REALLY turned me off on this season which was the one where Menagerie incapacitates Supergirl in order for Dreamer and the 14 year old Lockwood boy to take care of her. SMH, I don't even like typing that scene out.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
Queller's comment in an article just prior to the second half of the season about not wanting the Red Daughter to overshadow the Agent Liberty and other stories within the season is indicative as to how the season went. The priority was not on the Red Daughter even though it was left as last years cliffhanger and hyped to be THE story this season. And to not want the main character of the overall season arc to be at the forefront is a bit mind-baffling to me. The Red Daughter story or lack thereof, was one of the biggest disappointments of this season to me. The mind-wipe being another.

As far as I can tell, Queller is a bright individual with great intentions. I am less convinced that she understands what longtime fans of Kara Zor-El see in the character.
@LibertyPrime, I agree with quite a bit of what you said, but unfortunately my praise wouldn't be as high. Yes, there was an appearance of direction with the season, which is definitely an improvement. But it's not enough to throw up only an occasional road sign along the ride to remind the viewer which way they're supposed to be heading, There are too many other available options and the task to stay on a blurry road and arrive at an uncertain destination isn't always worth it. And while the writers may have tied up things at the end (via an immense amount of exposition), the season was too choppy to give any one of the ongoing stories any justice. And unfortunately, just as Alura's reveal ended up being a throwaway story last season, many stories that held real potential to explore Kara's character this season also got lost among the clutter.
I really can't argue your points. You may chalk it up to irrational exuberance. Under the metallic armor of my namesake giant robot, I can be a sentimental fool at heart.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
Seriously though, in the end, for as HYPED up as the whole story line was at Comic Con, despite Melissa's brilliant acting, the storyline was a total dead end.
Yah I think the EPs bit off more than could be chewed with RD. Underestimation of how much of Mel’s time such as working with the language coach could’ve been a factor.
Queller's comment in an article just prior to the second half of the season about not wanting the Red Daughter to overshadow the Agent Liberty and other stories within the season is indicative as to how the season went. The priority was not on the Red Daughter even though it was left as last years cliffhanger and hyped to be THE story this season. And to not want the main character of the overall season arc to be at the forefront is a bit mind-baffling to me. The Red Daughter story or lack thereof, was one of the biggest disappointments of this season to me. The mind-wipe being another.

@LibertyPrime, I agree with quite a bit of what you said, but unfortunately my praise wouldn't be as high. Yes, there was an appearance of direction with the season, which is definitely an improvement. But it's not enough to throw up only an occasional road sign along the ride to remind the viewer which way they're supposed to be heading, There are too many other available options and the task to stay on a blurry road and arrive at an uncertain destination isn't always worth it. And while the writers may have tied up things at the end (via an immense amount of exposition), the season was too choppy to give any one of the ongoing stories any justice. And unfortunately, just as Alura's reveal ended up being a throwaway story last season, many stories that held real potential to explore Kara's character this season also got lost among the clutter.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 14
Votes
Undo
Was talking to a student today.... What a totally depressing "life" Red Daughter had--experienced no love, was brutally betrayed and viciously rejected by Lex who she came to love as family, had her country defeated, never knew Mikhail was alive, and then killed. Seriously though, in the end, for as HYPED up as the whole story line was at Comic Con, despite Melissa's brilliant acting, the storyline was a total dead end. Never even got to interact with any of our heros, except Kara--especially never really interacting with Alex as herself.
Yah I think the EPs bit off more than could be chewed with RD. Underestimation of how much of Mel’s time such as working with the language coach could’ve been a factor. Plus showing more of RDs “life” would’ve required casting more Kasnians. One scene with our Alex would’ve been nice.

As far as SDCC it might be a good to take what’s said there with a healthy dose of skepticism. There’s things meant to intentionally mislead along with actual information, they want to present the illusion of information while giving away as little as possible. I believe the actors truly don’t know too much more than they say, they can’t leak what they don’t know. At least with filming starting earlier than ever we should be able to have a good trailer. Things like the theme we’re gonna get but anything else I’m considering fluff. My biggest hope for SDCC is it’s not dominated by CoIE.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 15
Votes
Undo
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 16
Votes
Undo
LibertyPrime's Supergirl S4 Postmortem
Dead Ends
Some threads were simply dropped without payoff. Mikhail, for one. Why bother making it a point to show he survived if he doesn't come into play later? While not exactly a dead end, Manchester Black's end served the purpose of J'onn questioning his own nature, but Manchester's motivation regarding J'onn was flimsy--in contrast to his motivation regarding the Children of Liberty, which was crystal clear.

Yes, Mikhail being saved made no sense. I can only think that the writers originally had planned to do something with him and changed their minds later on.

J'onn's whole arc this season didn't make much sense. He was Martian Manhunter in previous seasons, then he wasn't, and now he is again, and doesn't seem any different than he was originally. Why did we waste time on this? It was kind of like in season 2 (I think it was) when he got infected with the white martian sickness, was cured a couple episodes later, and then he was back to normal. Also, in last year's finale Sam suddenly gains super powers, goes off to fight, and then nothing comes of it.

As for Agent Liberty, they devoted a whole episode to telling his backstory - how he started off as a good and tolerant person and gradually became more radical due to circumstance - but by the end of the season he was little more than a generic bad guy. I feel like he needed some kind of redemption in the end. Like. after he realizes how everyone has played him, he decides to do right and sacrifices himself to help save the day or something.
Imra: "What about Tommy and Gina? 'You live for the fight when it's all that you've got!'"

Mon El: "Bon Jovi."

Imra: "Or was that all a lie?"

Mon El: "No. He speaks the truth."
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 17
Votes
Undo
Like many, I found the back half of Season 4 substantially better than the first half.

That seems to be the opinion of IMDb voters where the last 3rd of the season is rated highly. 4 Season 4 episodes (15,16,21 and 22) are rated in the Top 12 of the series to date while 8 Season 4 episodes (1,4-7,11,12 and 14) are rated in the Bottom 12.

On a separate note here's another Instagram post from Jennifer Clarke of a stunt from Episode 21.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 18
Votes
Undo
@LibertyPrime,

Re: Supergirl S4 Post Mortem.

Very well said! You hit the nail on the head squarely. ;)
"Out Of Touch" - Daryl Hall & John Oates, from the CD/LP/Download Big Bam Boom. (1984)
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 19
Votes
Undo
I will be watching the season a second time with a friend that loves Supergirl, but with 2 kids in high school and a SWAT husband she just didnt have time, so we will binge it this Summer. I will get a chance to see it through the eyes of someone that is not on social media AT ALL and totally oblivious of people's opinions good or bad. It will be interesting.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 4
  3. # 20

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!