MEMBERS
  1. Kiwi
  2. Motivator Smile Seeker Love Fool
  3. Supergirl Season 4
  4. Sunday, 21 April 2019
This thread covers Episodes 18 to 22 of Season 4. One may also want to include a overall review of Season 4 after it's conclusion.
Attachments (2)
Who is viewing this page
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
So if that is Jennifer Clarke doing the slide, is that Melissa Benoist flying not-quite overhead?

I imagine it's another super stuntwoman (possibly Lisa Chandler who has stunt doubled for Dreamer and Alex). I don't think Melissa would be allowed to do those sort of stunts where the risk of injury might be high if something went wrong.

Edit: I paused when Supergirl starts her leap in which there is a clear shot of her face and it's definitely not Melissa, looked like Lisa so I'll take it as her that did that stunt.
Votes
Undo
Sneak Peak is out. Spoiler alert: ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Looks like we WILL be getting a flashback with RD and Lex, pre trip to Midvale. Really hoping they don't kill RD before another moment with Supergirl and Alex, and just give us a flashback as to how she died. If so? WOW...anti-climax of the century.
Votes
Undo
There was also a comic book with the same plot bit.

So the sun wasn't gone, it was just blocked out from their battlefield. I imagine Red Daughter was also either sapping or negating Kara's own personal reserves of solar energy with each blow, as we continued to see those violet flashes with each impact. This would also explain why Supergirl came to near-death so easily, despite her beating Reign's hands, last season, seeming substantially worse.
That's a really good explanation @kdogg. We know Lex and Eve were experimenting on aliens and giving alien powers to humans thus Eve now being able to make copies of herself. It's not far fetched to imagine there's an alien with the capability to generate electrical power which is what those purple flashes looked like to me. We've talked about how very large amounts of power, like Livewire could generate, are a problem for Kara because they can stop her heart. What if the fight itself used up enough of Kara's solar reserves that it didn't take quite as much power to stop her heart. So Kara wasn't beaten unconscious like the fight with Reign but was shocked to "death" with a super lightning strike. OOoooooooooooooo I just thought what if part of RDs "upgrade" was a bit of Parasite's power set so with each blow she landed some of Kara's solar energy was drained and transferred to RD.

I actually found the part in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns where they got the idea for Kara pulling solar energy from plants.
A comic precedent means it's fair game.
Votes
Undo
Jennifer Clarke shares more of her awesome stunt work with us. This is from Episode 21 and Jennifer is playing Red Daughter. Impressive work from Jennifer especially the slide and getting up in almost one fluid motion.

So if that is Jennifer Clarke doing the slide, is that Melissa Benoist flying not-quite overhead?
Votes
Undo
Yeah... End of Sunday's episode. I've been seeing the Crisis teases as separate from each of the episodes. So, yeah... agree--Lena being told (or seeing), then.... the Crisis tease.

Thank-you, I'm with you now :) . I'd definitely be OK with that as the final scene as it would be something about Kara. Another scene that would be good to be the final one would be the people of National City embracing Supergirl as their hero again. I liked in Episode 21 Kara looking around Linda's apartment as the opposite to Linda looking around Kara's apartment in Episode 16 so a scene such as I described would be a nice opposite to the scene in Episode 18 where the public wanted to tear Supergirl down (even kill her). I don't expect that scene to happen but it would be nice if it was shown.

Looking forward to seeing what happens in the finale and seeing how Supergirl (it better be her anyway, I'd accept Red Daughter but no-one else) defeats Lex Luthor.
Votes
Undo
I've been guessing this week that one of the major cliff hangers is going to be how does Lena react to being told/finding out Kara's secret. I could even see the possibility of her finding out within the last few seconds of the show.

Are you referring to the end of this upcoming Episode 22 or the entire series (be that Season 5,6 or 7)?. I'll assume the ending of Episode 22 will be the CoIE tease but the scene before that could be Lena finding out Kara is Supergirl. That reveal could then result in exploration of how it affects their friendship in Season 5. I just hope it's dealt with in the Season 4 finale, either have Lena know or have her never find out just don't keep teasing it every season.

Yeah... End of Sunday's episode. I've been seeing the Crisis teases as separate from each of the episodes. So, yeah... agree--Lena being told (or seeing), then.... the Crisis tease.
Votes
Undo
Jennifer Clarke shares more of her awesome stunt work with us. This is from Episode 21 and Jennifer is playing Red Daughter. Impressive work from Jennifer especially the slide and getting up in almost one fluid motion.
References
  1. https://www.instagram.com/p/BxjHsvLFLCd/
Votes
Undo
I've been guessing this week that one of the major cliff hangers is going to be how does Lena react to being told/finding out Kara's secret. I could even see the possibility of her finding out within the last few seconds of the show.

Are you referring to the end of this upcoming Episode 22 or the entire series (be that Season 5,6 or 7)?. I'll assume the ending of Episode 22 will be the CoIE tease but the scene before that could be Lena finding out Kara is Supergirl. That reveal could then result in exploration of how it affects their friendship in Season 5. I just hope it's dealt with in the Season 4 finale, either have Lena know or have her never find out just don't keep teasing it every season.
Votes
Undo
Votes
Undo
Jon Cryer teases Lex Luthor's 'jaw-droppingly evil' move in the Supergirl finale, from ew.com.

So, I guess we will be left with the Lena cliffhanger after all; because he says it is interpersonal. Or, may be it is just one part of it.
Votes
Undo
Jon Cryer teases Lex Luthor's 'jaw-droppingly evil' move in the Supergirl finale, from ew.com.
References
  1. https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/16/supergirl-season-4-finale-lex-luthor-jon-cryer/
Votes
Undo
Spectacular stunt from Jennifer Clarke!

A bit of evidence that "President Baker" is actually Lex Luthor: He does not rpopose sumoning Superman to deal with the smaller, lighter, presumably weaker Kryptonian menace. (Yes, we know the truth about this one.)
Votes
Undo
The simply wonderful Jennifer Clarke and one of her stunts from Episode 18 in slow motion. Love your work Jen :) .
References
  1. https://www.instagram.com/p/BxSVCpCgCfq/
Votes
Undo
Yeah, you are right about their problems with timelines. Seems to be a problem on the Flash too, LOL. I did not remember that quote from "Stronger Together" so thanks for pointing that out. I agree, a non-specific reference would have avoided the problem altogether.

The CW writers are in desperate need of--
custodians-hq.jpg
Attachments (1)
Votes
Undo
I hated the continuity error at the beginning, about dealing with kryptonite for 15 years. Sloppy, avoidable mistake.

A couple of people have mentioned this, but I'm wondering if it is really as significant as it appears on its face. Superman was on earth well before Kara, and knew about Kryptonite. He (and probably the Danvers as well) would certainly have told her about its dangers. So although she has only been exposed to it within the last 3 years, it may have been on her mind as a threat for much longer. I'm not saying that 15 years is entirely accurate, but I don't think it is as far off the mark as it may appear.

If season one Kara is to be believed, it is exactly as far off the mark as it appears. In "Stronger Together," Kara remarks that she had never even heard of Kryptonite before getting zapped by it.

In the grand scheme, it didn't ruin the ep for me, but it was like a splash of cold water on my suspension of disbelief that momentarily shocked me out of the narrative. It was an otherwise fantastic scene as written and acted.

The writing team seems to get itself into trouble with timelines in general, usually when they get too specific. If Kara had simply said to Red Daughter, "I've been dealing with kryptonite for years," then there's no contradiction.

Yeah, you are right about their problems with timelines. Seems to be a problem on the Flash too, LOL. I did not remember that quote from "Stronger Together" so thanks for pointing that out. I agree, a non-specific reference would have avoided the problem altogether.
Votes
Undo
On a separate note my expectations for Supergirl's Season 4 Finale to deliver went up tonight after I watched The Flash deliver it's best episode of the Season with it's Season 5 Finale. There were some cool action scenes but it was the emotional scenes that were something else. Great work from all the cast but especially my man Grant Gustin along with Tom Cavanagh and Jessica Parker Kennedy.

Twas so good, Kiwi. Wasn't expecting that one certain thing to occur that really created an emotional wrap up of the season. Also, did you note Thawne's final farewell, "I'll see you at the next CRISIS"? Woooowhooo! That makes me even more stoked to see the final few moments of Supergirl, to see what her episode reveals about CoIE.
Votes
Undo
I hated the continuity error at the beginning, about dealing with kryptonite for 15 years. Sloppy, avoidable mistake.

A couple of people have mentioned this, but I'm wondering if it is really as significant as it appears on its face. Superman was on earth well before Kara, and knew about Kryptonite. He (and probably the Danvers as well) would certainly have told her about its dangers. So although she has only been exposed to it within the last 3 years, it may have been on her mind as a threat for much longer. I'm not saying that 15 years is entirely accurate, but I don't think it is as far off the mark as it may appear.
If season one Kara is to be believed, it is exactly as far off the mark as it appears. In "Stronger Together," Kara remarks that she had never even heard of Kryptonite before getting zapped by it.

In the grand scheme, it didn't ruin the ep for me, but it was like a splash of cold water on my suspension of disbelief that momentarily shocked me out of the narrative. It was an otherwise fantastic scene as written and acted.

The writing team seems to get itself into trouble with timelines in general, usually when they get too specific. If Kara had simply said to Red Daughter, "I've been dealing with kryptonite for years," then there's no contradiction.
Votes
Undo
A little preview of the Season 4 Finale: Supergirl: Jon Cryer Says Lex Luthor's Plan is More Evil Than Even He Thought.

I wonder what plans he has, I probably would expect nothing less than world domination from Lex Luthor.

On a separate note my expectations for Supergirl's Season 4 Finale to deliver went up tonight after I watched The Flash deliver it's best episode of the Season with it's Season 5 Finale. There were some cool action scenes but it was the emotional scenes that were something else. Great work from all the cast but especially my man Grant Gustin along with Tom Cavanagh and Jessica Parker Kennedy.
References
  1. https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/15/supergirl-jon-cryer-lex-more-evil-season-4-finale-the-cw/
Votes
Undo
Hey, Kiwi...

The Blake Neely-ness of this episode's score. How awesome, right??? Did you catch all the harkening back to season 1 themes blended in?....especially during the RD/Supergirl fight and as Alex was regaining her memory? Oh man...season 1 music was just perfection.

I watched the Supergirl vs Red Daughter fight up till the point where Kara wakes up a couple of times tonight just to listen to the music and there was certainly some good stuff during that whole scene. Bits of the Supergirl Theme were used a couple of times, there was some nice piano, liked the music during the Alex flashback sequences (I actually expected to hear a bit of Harnessing Anger during the replay of the spaceship save scene) and really good choice of music when Kara was drawing in the sunlight.

I don't anything though will beat the music used in the scene when Supergirl unleashes Solar Flare on Red Tornado. I think even Blake Neely was amazed that scene played with just his awesome musical piece playing.
Votes
Undo
Hey, Kiwi...

The Blake Neely-ness of this episode's score. How awesome, right??? Did you catch all the harkening back to season 1 themes blended in?....especially during the RD/Supergirl fight and as Alex was regaining her memory? Oh man...season 1 music was just perfection.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.