MEMBERS
  1. Kiwi
  2. Motivator Smile Seeker Love Fool
  3. Supergirl Season 4
  4. Saturday, 09 March 2019
Continuation of the previous thread, covers discussion of any Episodes of Season 4.

Post any reviews, comments, articles, photos, Synopsis, anything and everything really related to Supergirl Season 4 episodes.
Attachments (1)
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I loved that the Linda Lee name was used not only from Supergirl's comic book history but also being Kara's earth alias in Helen Slater's Supergirl movie.

What I found interesting is Melissa's Linda Lee hairstyle is very similar to Helen's. While Melissa has more hair covering her forehead the way it sits and is curled on the shoulders makes it look the same as Helen's. Nice little homage to Helen if that was the case.
Attachments (3)
Votes
Undo
But, I really don't get the whole mindwipe being Alex's story thing.

I don't agree it is Alex who has been stealing her limelight; or her stories

I'm not sure I've said either of those things. The mindwipe I've seen as more of a shared story between Kara and Alex but what leans it a little towards Alex for me is that she was the one who made the decision to have her mind wiped and Kara has had to suffer the consequences, if it was Kara who made the decision (driving the story-line) then yes I would agree that it was a Kara story. Kara has been supporting J'onn and Nia also this season.

Sorry for the delay in reply Kiwi. No, you didn't say that. I just gathered it not just from your post but from others' posts for the past few weeks as well.

And, I don't think Kara would ever ask Alex to do that kind of sacrifice. That is why it needed to be Alex who made that decision. However, I do think that Kara could have been given a bit more time to think about it (I know, they didn't have the time); and I didn't like at all that she didn't have the time or raise objections. But, after that, I believe it is Kara's growth that they have tried to focus on; but J'onn, Nia and Brainy-Nia sort of were also there and took a lot of the screen time.

I hope that we don't lose Kasnian Kara--Linda and she ends up merging with our Kara. I don't want her to be a villain even though she has already killed people.
Votes
Undo
We should all nominate Melissa as performer of the month on Spoiler.tv.

That is a fantastic idea Brierrose, I'll join in.

One of the unintended benefits of our site is that we have the pulse of much of the Supergirl fan community. Tonight, there is SO MUCH energy! I feel incredible tonight as a fan of Supergirl!

Thanks for those words Eric. A little openness from me, I was sad when a recent news item threatened to tear our small community apart and I contemplated leaving the website (something I'd rather not do as I've made some good friends from being here and enjoy conversing with other Supergirl fans). It's fantastic though to see that an episode of the show has bought people together.
Votes
Undo
Lex and Red Daughter know Kara's identity. I wonder if Lex has kept that from Eve, and Otis, of course? How might that play into Alex? Lena?
Votes
Undo
One of the unintended benefits of our site is that we have the pulse of much of the Supergirl fan community. Tonight, there is SO MUCH energy! People are charged with an episode that brought together everything in season 4. Jon Cryer’s Lex is amazing and people are responding to him, Eve, Red Daughter and Otis in tremendous ways! I feel incredible tonight as a fan of Supergirl! When Supergirl really doubles down, we get the best episodes in the entire arrowverse!

Absolutely, admin! The energy is such a welcomed reward for every fan who's stuck through disagreements and disappointments. This episode tonight was everything great about this show, about this cast. It was everything we fans knew this show could be. And hot dang, we still have more episodes to go.
Votes
Undo
And, I thought it interesting and cool how, for me anyway, I immediately felt the Alex/Kara connection back in that one short scene that we haven't felt since mind wipe--a testiment to how incredibly talented and attention to detail oriented Chyler and Melissa are that they can somehow shut OFF that connection these past few weeks. Subtle detail that has totally driven the mind wipe feel.
I saw the same thing. The whole mindwipe thing is only possible because of how good Melissa and Chyler are. I don’t think any other pair of actors could pull it off. Separately they are IMO two of the best actors currently on TV but put them together and they can do anything. You’re right LibertyPrime Emmy’s will never recognize comic book shows and that’s a shame. We should all nominate Melissa as performer of the month on Spoiler.tv.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
Votes
Undo
One of the unintended benefits of our site is that we have the pulse of much of the Supergirl fan community. Tonight, there is SO MUCH energy! People are charged with an episode that brought together everything in season 4. Jon Cryer’s Lex is amazing and people are responding to him, Eve, Red Daughter and Otis in tremendous ways! I feel incredible tonight as a fan of Supergirl! When Supergirl really doubles down, we get the best episodes in the entire arrowverse!
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Votes
Undo
Yeah, Kdogg, Alex saw her without her glasses before mind wipe. She asked Kara why she wasn't in Smallville.

And, I thought it interesting and cool how, for me anyway, I immediately felt the Alex/Kara connection back in that one short scene that we haven't felt since mind wipe--a testiment to how incredibly talented and attention to detail oriented Chyler and Melissa are that they can somehow shut OFF that connection these past few weeks. Subtle detail that has totally driven the mind wipe feel.

Yep. They will never be nominated for Emmys with these performances, because it's "only a comic book show." But those two have absolute command of the intricacies of their respective characters.
It is a joy to watch, and a strength the show can lean on when all else fails.
Votes
Undo
Yeah, Kdogg, Alex saw her without her glasses before mind wipe. She asked Kara why she wasn't in Smallville.

Votes
Undo
Ep. 16 and FINALLY my first, oh shizzle moment, well technically Ep.17.....but holy craaaaaaaaap. I see a Supergirl in handcuffs moment coming.

Also, anyone else realize Alex saw Kara without her glasses....well Linda playing Kara....

That, unfortunately, was before the mind wipe. Looks like, chronologically, it happened during the Elseworlds crossover.

I don't know if they'll get Supergirl in cuffs. But she will definitely become an outlaw. And something tells me there only going to leave us with a bigger cliffhanger, next week, before the hiatus.
Votes
Undo
Ep. 16 and FINALLY my first, oh shizzle moment, well technically Ep.17.....but holy craaaaaaaaap. I see a Supergirl in handcuffs moment coming.

Also, anyone else realize Alex saw Kara without her glasses....well Linda playing Kara....
Votes
Undo
They could very well be phasing out the DEO and while I wouldn’t mind that there are some challenges to doing that. The DEO serves four main purposes:communications hub, science lab, medical bay, and incarnation of villains that can’t be held in regular jail. It’s handy for Supergirl to have all these resources in one place. The easiest one to replace is communications hub, we’ve already seen the Fortress serve that purpose but it’s an issue that characters who can’t fly, like Alex, can’t get there on their own plus it’s inconvenient to have a communications hub outside the city. I can see Brainy converting J’onn’s PI office to the Supergirl communications hub perhaps with a secret button that transforms the space. For a science Lab and med bay L Corp could be used on a case by case basis. Certainly, Lena’s not going to turn away an injured Supergirl and she enjoys doing science with Brainy and Alex but I don’t know if she’d want to make a formal arrangement with Supergirl. I actually like how they’ve handled the incarnation issue with Supergirl handing over the villains to the DEO with a greeting card but how would that be handled if the DEO goes away. There’s also some other relatively minor things like the alien artifacts in storage and general knowledge that would be lost. Here’s one more thing to think about. I recall an interview with a set designer about recreating or making new sets when the show moved for season two. The stairs of the ”new” DEO were designed so Supergirl can make dramatic entrances and exits. Those stairs have defiantly been used for that purpose providing some nice visuals, is that something we want to lose.

Here’s what I would like to see by the end of the season. Alex gets her memories back and Col. Haley is gone. Alex does consider quitting the DEO but Kara talks her out if it, the reasons Kara used earlier this season are still valid and IMO there are others too. At the same time Supergirl doesn’t go back to working for the DEO. Brainy sets up a Supergirl communications hub at J’onn’s PI office and he spends time there and at the DEO with Alex. Supergirl with her new communications hub and the DEO have a friendly working relationship. Another way to think of it would be the sisters being the heads of two businesses that are separate but often work together to keep the planet safe. This way Supergirl has access to DEO resources she can’t get on her own and the DEO has access to plan S. We can also still have the occasional dramatic Supergirl entrance/exit from the DEO stairs and talks on the DEO balcony of deep thoughts.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
Votes
Undo
But, I really don't get the whole mindwipe being Alex's story thing.

I don't agree it is Alex who has been stealing her limelight; or her stories

I'm not sure I've said either of those things. The mindwipe I've seen as more of a shared story between Kara and Alex but what leans it a little towards Alex for me is that she was the one who made the decision to have her mind wiped and Kara has had to suffer the consequences, if it was Kara who made the decision (driving the story-line) then yes I would agree that it was a Kara story. Kara has been supporting J'onn and Nia also this season.

Anyways Episode 15 was the first time I didn't really like the Alex mind wipe story being in existence. It felt as if there was a little distance between the sisters (sure they hugged at the end which was sweet). The lying by Kara just wasn't very nice to watch and shouldn't be happening to keep them apart. I'm in need of a Danvers sisters cuddle on the couch while they eat ice-cream.

An interesting scene would be Alex being blindsided again, as she was blindsided by the satellite that did not reach the White House, and resigning from the DEO.

I wonder if there's potential for that to happen in the Season 4 finale. Showrunners may decide to not have the DEO around in Season 5 added to which I don't have a clue how the shows going to look post Crisis on Infinite Earths. I wouldn't blame Alex for resigning from the DEO especially as she hasn't had much of a chance to be director with Col. Haley ordering her around.
Votes
Undo
An interesting scene would be Alex being blindsided again, as she was blindsided by the satellite that did not reach the White House, and resigning from the DEO.
Votes
Undo
Please take it as a given that they could have done a much better job (around 1000%) of making the seaon's current arc personally relevant to Kara by, instead of talking about politics in the legal sense (involving President, using rallies etc.), focusing on Kara's internal journey-sense of betrayal by a people whom she has done so much to protect, the feeling of ground shifting under your feet at all the venom, even unhappiness at her Kryptonian heritage and a wish to fit in.
I agree with this 100%. While the potential was there to make it Kara's story, it's not. Instead, it's a platform to showcase an issue that the EPs wanted highlighted.

But, I really don't get the whole mindwipe being Alex's story thing. Alex literally has no growth in this. And, there is even no change in her although, in real-life, such a memory gap is going to be visible to a person and that person is going to be affected drastically by it. But, no Alex has had no change (except for whatever was there in episode 11).
I would argue that the mind-wipe is not really an actual Alex or Kara story. It was a singular event that has had little movement along the typical story structure since it happened. Because of this, I feel like the main purpose behind it was to be a vehicle to open up time for Kara and Alex to be with other characters.

As far as this week's episode, I thought John Cryer did an excellent job. The actor has always impressed me in the things that I have seen him in so, it was of no surprise that he was on point in this episode. I would love to see him on the show as a regular basis. Both the actor and the character. He would bring some spark to the show and the Kara/Lex dynamic would actually be great to sit through week after week.

The rest of the episode seemed very disjointed, even just confusing at times. Manchester has been nearing the edge without a purpose behind his actions for the last few episodes and in this one, he completely went over it. His ability to grasp onto J'onn's powers so easily and use it against him was unrealistic. Just in the last episode, a 100 year experienced J'onn had to have help locating Manchester.

I'm not certain what role Kara actually played in this episode. While I do love Kara and J'onn scenes, she just seemed to float around with him from scene to scene without any direction. And I'm not certain what the connection between the Kara and Alex zombies and J'onn was supposed to be.

Alex, Brainy and Nia in the hospital felt like complete filler. They could have done without those characters in this episode, allowing more time to build the rest of the stories. It was also a little hard to believe that Kelly would trust Alex so quickly, a complete stranger for life/death medical care over the doctor's assigned to his case. And Lena coming in ordering the doctor's out during surgery was a bit over the top. How is it exactly that Lex knew that Manchester was on the dam to coordinate that whole thing anyway? Was there a connection between the two that got edited out?

But, I guess the EP's hedged their bets right on Cryer's impact because even with its major faults, I still mostly enjoyed the episode. Take him out of play though and it would have been a sub-par episode.
Votes
Undo

- Was a little disappointed in Melissa's screen-time (I will forget about it though if she's in the majority of Episode 16 as Kara, Supergirl and Red Daughter) and also felt that Kara didn't get much to do except support Alex and J'onn's story. Hopefully they'll give her some more story in the final 7 episodes of the season.

Please take it as a given that they could have done a much better job (around 1000%) of making the seaon's current arc personally relevant to Kara by, instead of talking about politics in the legal sense (involving President, using rallies etc.), focusing on Kara's internal journey-sense of betrayal by a people whom she has done so much to protect, the feeling of ground shifting under your feet at all the venom, even unhappiness at her Kryptonian heritage and a wish to fit in.

But, I really don't get the whole mindwipe being Alex's story thing. Alex literally has no growth in this. And, there is even no change in her although, in real-life, such a memory gap is going to be visible to a person and that person is going to be affected drastically by it. But, no Alex has had no change (except for whatever was there in episode 11).

It is Kara who has had to adjust to Alex no longer being her support system;

It is Kara who has had to adjust with Alex not knowing about her and having to constantly lie to her;

It's Kara who has had to literally build a team ground up (in Alex's and DEO's absence) to have a support system that can help her fight her battles;

And, it is Kara in this episode who ran away in pain and fear and then realised that she needs to be there for Alex and James (and Lena).

As for Alex and Kelly. The only reason why it is serving Alex also is because there has been rumours (probably true) that Kelly is going to be Alex's love interest some time in the future (in S5, hopefully and not this season).

The conflict with Haley is character arc but that is a complementary arc to Kara losing Alex. It is not the sole arc. And, it really has not much to do with the mindwipe (except for showing Alex's value system is still intact).

So.. While I agree that we could do with more Supergirl and Kara all around, I don't agree it is Alex who has been stealing her limelight; or her stories; she has been having some fight scenes. That is about it. There is no character growth in that.
Votes
Undo
I found Episode 15 to certainly be an improvement over the previous 4 episodes and that was partly to do with there being no Children of Liberty story-line, very similar reason to why I enjoyed Episode 10.

Here's a few of my random thoughts on Episode 15

- I loved Kara super-speeding out of bed and to the rescue of James. Also thought it cool that Kara leaves her bedroom window open at night just in case duty (as Supergirl) calls.

- Enjoyed the freeze breath while J'onn was in the ring of fire, some of it was in slow motion and looked really good, nice work from the Encore VFX team.

- Supergirl using her freeze breath and heat vision to seal the dam was also very enjoyable to watch.

- Favourite line of the episode was Alex to Kara "J'onn needs a reporter to help fight Manchester Black?, what are you going to do exactly?, interview him?.", funny, :) .

- I continue to thoroughly enjoy Kara and J'onn scenes.

- Actually thought the Alex and Kara zombie scene was a little weird and felt out of place in the episode.

- Was mightily impressed with Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor and his chemistry with Katie McGrath was excellent. Jon's "Miss TESCHMACHER" was good although I thought Calista Flockhart did it better and it wasn't quite up to the level of Gene Hackman's. Gene remains my favourite Lex Luthor.

- I did like Team Villain of Lex,Otis and Eve in a nice nod to Superman: The Movie.

- Could've done without Nia and Brainy in the episode. They didn't really add much. I would've much preferred a scene just between Kara and James in his hospital room after he awakened.

- Was a little disappointed in Melissa's screen-time (I will forget about it though if she's in the majority of Episode 16 as Kara, Supergirl and Red Daughter) and also felt that Kara didn't get much to do except support Alex and J'onn's story. Hopefully they'll give her some more story in the final 7 episodes of the season.

So onto Episode 16 which according to the EP's starts with a Supergirl vs Lex Luthor fight, should be good. I'm very much looking forward to The House of L with what potentially we'll get from Melissa as Red Daughter. This is probably the most excited I've been for a Supergirl episode since Girl of Steel (S3 E1) and that was 18 months ago.
Votes
Undo
Dear Eric and Kelsey,

At roundtable interview this year, can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ask Mel and/or Chyler about if there were any antics that went down when they were in zombie make-up? LOL No. Really. Ask them, PLEASE.

Care: Potential Spoilers in these attached articles. Here's some of what's to come in the remaining 7 episodes.

From ew.com

From tvline.com

I'm trying hard not to read these, Kiwi. lol I wish I hadn't read someone's theory that Eve was working secretly for Lex. As soon as I did last week, I saw that it would probably happen. So, last night, while I literally yelled, "HA!" and did a fist pump when Eve came around the corner with a gun, I think it would have been fun to have been completely taken back by surprise. lol Otis was a shocker, and was totally fun to witness. For a second, I thought Eve was going to be Mercy. And, even thought in that split second, "Is Eve even a real person?" Bah ha h ha h ha ha ha

Awesome episode last night.
Votes
Undo
Care: Potential Spoilers in these attached articles. Here's some of what's to come in the remaining 7 episodes.

From ew.com

From tvline.com
Votes
Undo
I joked about Nucleargirl, but what if "Red Daughter" really is an appropriate (hopefully better executed) analog?
What's "Nucleargirl"? Is that a real character?

No, Nucleargirl was just me poking fun at the Jon Cryer Superman IV connection. In the film, Lex created a supervillain from Superman's DNA--NuclearMan. Like the movie itself, the execution of the character was hampered by budget and less than perfect.

At one point Nuclear Man destroys a section of the Great Wall, leading to one of the most surreal moments in Superman cinematic history. Supes literally rebuilds the demolished section by shooting beams out of his eyes. Hence, my comment about masonry vision.

Red Daughter could conceivably be a quasi nod to that bit of history, but if so, only in part. I have problems with the show, but it hasn't fallen to SupermanIV levels. Thank Rao. :)
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.