MEMBERS
  1. Kiwi
  2. Motivator Smile Seeker Love Fool
  3. Supergirl Season 4
  4. Tuesday, 01 January 2019
This thread covers Episodes 10 to 22 but discussion on Episodes 1 to 8 is also welcome.

Post any reviews, comments, articles, photos, Synopsis, anything and everything really related to Supergirl Season 4 episodes. May possibly be an idea to state the episode number at the start of your post.
Attachments (1)
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Thanks all for your contributions (especially the discussion about Fish n' Chips :) ) to this thread, it's been another good read. The thread has now reached what I deem to be an appropriate length so let's move on to Part 2.

On the much more important subject of our girl, it is very frustrating that we are so far behind here. We have not yet seen episode 11 Blood memory. I do try not to read too much about the episodes you have already seen, but it is so difficult!

I understand Jtardy. Feel free though to post your thoughts/review of an episode if you can avoid reading other posts. I (and I'm sure other members here) like to read different opinions on episodes. Doesn't matter (to me anyway) if the episode has screened a few weeks beforehand in the U.S. and other places.
Votes
Undo
By French fries, we mean the stuff you might get in McDonalds, i.e. very thinly cut potatoes. But the "proper" chips for English fish and chips are much fatter (hopefully not fattier!) with quite a different taste and texture from French Fries.

I believe the thick cut chips you describe are what we often call "steak fries" in the US. They definitely go better with the battered fish.
Votes
Undo
As an Englishman, I would like to try to settle the fish and chips puzzle, though I suspect it is too important ever to totally resolve!
In England, the battered fish is almost always cod, haddock or huss (used to be called rock). I don't know if this is the same in the US. We of course have lots of other types of fish, but not as fish and chips.
The fact that US chips are what we call crisps in the UK caused me some confusion on my first trip to America! By French fries, we mean the stuff you might get in McDonalds, i.e. very thinly cut potatoes. But the "proper" chips for English fish and chips are much fatter (hopefully not fattier!) with quite a different taste and texture from French Fries.
Very willing to undertake an extensive fish and chip tasting survey if that would be helpful! When done well (and there are some pretty awful examples over here too) they are one of my favourite meals.

On the much more important subject of our girl, it is very frustrating that we are so far behind here. We have not yet seen episode 11 Blood memory. I do try not to read too much about the episodes you have already seen, but it is so difficult!
Votes
Undo
Maybe it's because I'm from Florida with seafood a staple there, but we have fish n chip places all over. We even have a place called Slippers that specializes in it. Fish n chips are big here in Utah, too--perhaps due to a lot of return Mormon missionaries who served in England.

American "chips" in the fish n chips are actually French fries. lol Is it different in England? *goes to google*....

Nope... same thing. :D
I'm from the Midwest and our fish is pulled from the farm pond, then battered while the chips are pulled out of a Lays bag :D .

Anyways a few of us guys are talking about Kara's Episode 13 dress, any of the ladies here want to offer their opinion on how it looked?.
As LibertyPrime said, Melissa can rock just about anything. And I generally like most of what they dress her in but, I have to say that I thought that dress was rather fugly. I also didn't like the coat in the previous episode. Generally, I prefer seeing Kara wear slacks of some sort, too. She looks very classy when she wears them.

Anyone like to see that sort of scene in the remaining episodes of Season 4?
At this point, the only one I want Supergirl introduced to is to Alex, as her sister Kara. As someone who loves the Danvers' sister but, who was wiling to endure the inevitable heart-ache that would occur with a good story attached to it, I'm no longer feeling the mind-wipe story. It just feels like a ploy to me now.
Votes
Undo
Supergirl Season 4 Finale Date is set for May 19.
No surprise, this is when we thought it be. Kiwi the two of us had it down to two possible schedules for the rest of the season and now that we know episode 16 “House of L” will air 3/24 that must mean the two week “spring break” will be 3/31 and 4/7. The final six episodes should run straight through from 4/14-5/19.

-Edit-
Anyways a few of us guys are talking about Kara's Episode 13 dress, any of the ladies here want to offer their opinion on how it looked?.
I liked the dress and it's something I might chose to wear. That being said I wasn't wowed by it like some of the other dresses we've seen lately, see what I wrote in the news feed for episode 12. My grandmother would’ve said the episode 13 dress is what a man likes to see a woman in. LOL I guess from the small sample of men here she was right. There's nothing wrong with that, I love seeing a man in a sharp suit like James wears. People should feel free to wear what they want without feeling like they need to impress others. As Nia said earlier the cloths we chose to wear are part of the face we show to the world, they mean something and most importantly they should give you confidence. And yes Melissa could rock a burlap sack.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
Votes
Undo
Maybe it's because I'm from Florida with seafood a staple there, but we have fish n chip places all over. We even have a place called Slippers that specializes in it. Fish n chips are big here in Utah, too--perhaps due to a lot of return Mormon missionaries who served in England.

American "chips" in the fish n chips are actually French fries. lol Is it different in England? *goes to google*....

Nope... same thing. :D
Votes
Undo
little trailer for you, this is actually the trailer for the Lex Luthor episode
Votes
Undo
Quoting RobertAnthony: "You must mean Arthur Treacher's. There were a lot of them in the 70's. The one closest to me was in Port Chester, NY. I have had fish and chips maybe once."

Yep, that's the one! Super greasy, in my experience. I understand why you never went back!

Well, not there, but at a place in Norwalk, CT...which as far as I know is still there.
Votes
Undo
In the attached TV Questions article from tvline.com one of the questions asked is:

"Also, at some point shouldn’t Alex want to introduce her sister to Supergirl?".

With the Alex mind-wipe story seemingly carrying on for the rest of the season to me that would be an interesting scene to watch. Like he did in Season 1 with Cat, Martian Manhunter would have to double as Supergirl (or Kara).

Anyone like to see that sort of scene in the remaining episodes of Season 4?.
References
  1. https://tvline.com/2019/03/08/game-of-thrones-season-8-trailer-tv-questions-answers/
Votes
Undo
And as for the dress Melissa wore in that episode...she rocked it the way Lynda Carter seemed to do with her many Diana Prince outfits on Wonder Woman's second and third seasons.

So true Robert. Melissa in that dress the more I think about it looked very similar to Lynda in some of the dresses she wore in her Diana Prince days. More than ever I need to see a scene where Kara is wearing that dress again and duty calls so she takes off her glasses and spins into Supergirl :) . Melissa knows how to do the spin in a dress and high heels as she showed a couple of years back on Live with Kelly and Ryan.

Votes
Undo
Quoting RobertAnthony: "You must mean Arthur Treacher's. There were a lot of them in the 70's. The one closest to me was in Port Chester, NY. I have had fish and chips maybe once."

Yep, that's the one! Super greasy, in my experience. I understand why you never went back!
Votes
Undo
And as for the dress Melissa wore in that episode...she rocked it the way Lynda Carter seemed to do with her many Diana Prince outfits on Wonder Woman's second and third seasons.

Melissa and Lynda can rock burlap sacks.
Votes
Undo
To this I would add that Kara's dress at the start of the show

I really liked that dress, in fact it is now in my favourite 3 dresses that Kara has worn in the series so far, right behind the green dress from S1 E3 and the yellow dress (sunshine Kara :) ) from S1 E18.

I liked Supergirl mentioning Fish n' Chips (which I only realised on 2nd viewing that it was a Fish n' Chips shop Supergirl met Manchester Black at in Manchester, England). I take it Fish n' Chips aren't really a thing in America?, they certainly are English and here in New Zealand they are our most popular takeaway (takeout).

Good call on the dresses, Kiwi.

You are right, fish and chips is not a big thing in America. Fish sandwiches are far more common, often served with french fries. I recall a chain of "Fish 'N Chips" shops during the 1970s, but they were awful. I've had the real deal several times in the UK and there was no comparison.

You must mean Arthur Treacher's. There were a lot of them in the 70's. The one closest to me was in Port Chester, NY. I have had fish and chips maybe once.

Votes
Undo
Supergirl Season 4 Finale Date is set for May 19.
References
  1. https://www.cbr.com/arrowverse-season-finale-date-2019/
Votes
Undo

I really liked that dress, in fact it is now in my favourite 3 dresses that Kara has worn in the series so far, right behind the green dress from S1 E3 and the yellow dress (sunshine Kara :) ) from S1 E18.

I liked Supergirl mentioning Fish n' Chips (which I only realised on 2nd viewing that it was a Fish n' Chips shop Supergirl met Manchester Black at in Manchester, England). I take it Fish n' Chips aren't really a thing in America?, they certainly are English and here in New Zealand they are our most popular takeaway (takeout).

Good call on the dresses, Kiwi.

You are right, fish and chips is not a big thing in America. Fish sandwiches are far more common, often served with french fries. I recall a chain of "Fish 'N Chips" shops during the 1970s, but they were awful. I've had the real deal several times in the UK and there was no comparison.
Votes
Undo

I really liked that dress, in fact it is now in my favourite 3 dresses that Kara has worn in the series so far, right behind the green dress from S1 E3 and the yellow dress (sunshine Kara :) ) from S1 E18. Photos attached.

Episode 13 was for me an episode of 2 halves, I enjoyed all of Melissa (Kara/Supergirl) and Louis's (The Hat) scenes (that includes their interactions with the other characters) but didn't really care for anything else.

A few other random thoughts

- I liked Supergirl mentioning Fish n' Chips (which I only realised on 2nd viewing that it was a Fish n' Chips shop Supergirl met Manchester Black at in Manchester, England). I take it Fish n' Chips aren't really a thing in America?, they certainly are English and here in New Zealand they are our most popular takeaway (takeout).

- Definitely enjoyed the Supergirl and Alex conversations in the episode, there was a Kara and Alex scene I wished we had though and that was them having lunch, was quite disappointed when that didn't occur and instead Kara went to the Fortress with Nia and Brainy.

- Think I would've enjoyed the episode more if it was only The Hat as the villain of the episode, we didn't really get to know much about him or where he comes from (apart from Manchester Black has known him for a while). After the previous episode introduced us to Menagerie I felt this episode should have been about The Hat and then at the end he gets Manchester Black and Menagerie out of prison and they form the Elite for Episode 14.
Attachments (4)
Votes
Undo
First you’re correct Kara needs the exo-suit or a Legion ring to breathe in space, she can fly there just fine without help until the point where she passes out from lack of oxygen. By fly in space I meant being able to survive. I should’ve been more precise and said breathe, my bad. If you haven’t seen all of season three I don’t want to say too much. Yes, she gives it back to him after they leave Argo but in their last scene together he gives it to her again. He can most likely another one in the 31st century.

Okay. I didn't know that. Thank you.
Votes
Undo
S4 E13 was excellent! The issues I'd complained about all went away. You could hear the dialogue over the music. Supergirl spent her time being super. |

They retconned out of existence the S1 position that Supergirl cannot fly in outer space because 'there is no gravity there'. (Against Reign, she used the flight ring to each the wormhole or whatever it was.)

To this I would add that Kara's dress at the start of the show was one that Cat would have described as 'I see you've decided to dress as a woman' which marks a change, I think.
Votes
Undo
S4 E13 was excellent! The issues I'd complained about all went away. You could hear the dialogue over the music. Supergirl spent her time being super. |

They retconned out of existence the S1 position that Supergirl cannot fly in outer space because 'there is no gravity there'. (Against Reign, she used the flight ring to each the wormhole or whatever it was.)
Votes
Undo
It was nice to see the exo-suit but I hope they don’t forget that Mon-El gave Kara his Legion ring so technically she could’ve used that to fly in space. In my head cannon she wears it on a chain around her neck in a parallel to how he wears her necklace. I do however get why we needed that Alex/Supergirl moment and Supergirl did look surprised when Alex threw the suit at her, Kara’s probably never seen it in its case. I do hope Kara’s ring comes into play with Brainy’s being stolen, she should offer to lend it to him until they get his back.

@evrafter I totally get what you’re saying and think it’s a way for the sisters to come out better than ever. Thier relationship became all about work and saving the world together without much time left to just be sisters. They’ll realize they are stronger together but hopefully the last bit of codependenticy will be gone.

I think Mon El took the ring back; how else would he fly in the legion? I have not seen the third season back half again, so I may be wrong.

Also, Kara needed the suit not to fly but to breathe since it is established in this show that Kara does need air.
First you’re correct Kara needs the exo-suit or a Legion ring to breathe in space, she can fly there just fine without help until the point where she passes out from lack of oxygen. By fly in space I meant being able to survive. I should’ve been more precise and said breathe, my bad. If you haven’t seen all of season three I don’t want to say too much. Yes, she gives it back to him after they leave Argo but in their last scene together he gives it to her again. He can most likely another one in the 31st century.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.