MEMBERS
  1. Kiwi
  2. Motivator Smile Seeker Love Fool
  3. Supergirl Season 4
  4. Tuesday, 01 January 2019
This thread covers Episodes 10 to 22 but discussion on Episodes 1 to 8 is also welcome.

Post any reviews, comments, articles, photos, Synopsis, anything and everything really related to Supergirl Season 4 episodes. May possibly be an idea to state the episode number at the start of your post.
Attachments (1)
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
It will be interesting to observe Melissa's screen-time in Episode 10 (as well as Stephen Amell's in Arrow Season 7 Episode 10). Watching The Flash Season 5 Episode 10 tonight and Grant Gustin was in less than 10 minutes of the episode (40 minutes run-time). Either it was mostly filmed while Grant was filming Elseworlds or it was filmed afterwards and they gave Grant a few extra days rest (well deserved of course).

Melissa didn't have as big of a role in Elseworlds as Grant and Stephen but it was still sizable enough and required a few weeks filming so I'll understand if she doesn't have her normal screen-time in Episode 10.

While I enjoy the crossovers I could easily live without them when it comes to situations like The Flash where the titular character (and who I watch the shows for) is hardly in an episode of their own show.
Votes
Undo
It's actually realistic that a singe act, even saving a life, doesn't cause a person to stop being preadjust. How many times have we heard someone defend racist remarks by saying "I have friends of [insert race/religion/sexual orientation] so I can't be a racist. It's all too easy to justify continued preadjust by thinking this individual is a good but they're the exception. On this show in the beginning of season two Alex of all people when talking about the alien amnesty act said she could count on one hand the number of good aliens she's met and still have two fingers left. She thought Kara, J'onn, and Clark were the exceptions when it came to aliens because that was her experience through working at the DEO where she dealt with criminals who happen to be aliens. Obviously she knows better now but that change didn't happen with a single act but through meeting more aliens who are heroes and/or just trying to live their lives in peace.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
Votes
Undo
" I hate the idea that Supergirl saves someone's life and feels the need to prove to that individual that not all aliens are bad. I get that she would want to, but I cannot imagine myself enjoying her trying to prove something that should be self evident to a guy who she, you know, saved from death. "

You're right, LibertyPrime, that she shouldn't have to prove something to a person who she has saved from death. At least not in a perfect world. But apparently being saved doesn't mean anything to the CofL, because she has also saved one member from the dragon, Agent Liberty's wife when she fell over a railing, and even Agent Liberty himself when Manchester Black was seconds away from shooting him in the head. A very sorry record.
Votes
Undo
How are other folk feeling about the show with the recent news items and given it's now only about a week before it returns?.

Mixed feelings. I share some of your concerns.

I think I am most excited for Supergirl vs the Elite.

Suspicious Minds seems like it could be very cool. Haley does seem to be the driving force in the synopsis, but there looks to be room for Supergirl as well.

I hate the idea that Supergirl saves someone's life and feels the need to prove to that individual that not all aliens are bad. I get that she would want to, but I cannot imagine myself enjoying her trying to prove something that should be self evident to a guy who she, you know, saved from death.

Nia Nal is a pleasant enough character. I can't say I care much about her storyline, though. Maybe because I watch the other Arrowverse shows, I feel like I've seen this before.
Votes
Undo
I think we will, The CW released a 1 minute trailer for Episode 10 'The Legion of Superheroes' last year. After seeing the one for The Flash I'm fairly confident of getting one for Supergirl. The Flash trailer was interesting in that it contained scenes from Season 5 Episode 10 and 11 (I only realised this after reading the E11 synopsis subsequent to watching the trailer) so it will be interesting if the Supergirl 1 minute trailer does the same (shows footage from E10 and E11 now that we have the synopsis for both episodes).

I've certainly had some mixed feelings with the news in recent days about E10,11,13 and 14:

How are other folk feeling about the show with the recent news items and given it's now only about a week before it returns?.
I know that the Supergirl show isn't the only one to do it but, I wish that the network wouldn't release so much information out this early. I would rather only have the upcoming episode synopsis. Too much information has a tendency to dispel any suspense from cliff-hanger type episodes and it has the tendency to set an ambivalent mood on that section of the season if the information isn't what people wanted or expected. Of course, if I had the willpower to avoid reading those releases it would help :D .

But, like you Kiwi, I like what I am hearing on some things but, am hesitant on others. I'm just going to stay positive on it and believe that the limited information is just that, a small bit of something that could be very good overall.

At this point, I'm most interested in learning more about the Red Daughter, how that fits into everything and when the heck she is going to start making an appearance.
Votes
Undo
An extended promo for Flash's midseason premiere dropped, yesterday. I'm hoping we get one for Supergirl.

I think we will, The CW released a 1 minute trailer for Episode 10 'The Legion of Superheroes' last year. After seeing the one for The Flash I'm fairly confident of getting one for Supergirl. The Flash trailer was interesting in that it contained scenes from Season 5 Episode 10 and 11 (I only realised this after reading the E11 synopsis subsequent to watching the trailer) so it will be interesting if the Supergirl 1 minute trailer does the same (shows footage from E10 and E11 now that we have the synopsis for both episodes).

I've certainly had some mixed feelings with the news in recent days about E10,11,13 and 14:

- The Episode 10 20 second trailer painted the episode as very Kara/Supergirl centric which had me excited but then the synopsis was released and that read as a Col. Haley centric episode so I'm interested in the extended trailer to see how that turns out.

- The Episode 11 synopsis seems to have Kara as a supporting player to Nia with the potential of no Supergirl in the episode if she's in Nia's hometown the entire time. I think Supergirl will be needed back in National City to deal with the people that have obtained superpowers, hope that happens anyway.

- Episode 13 should be interesting as Supergirl fights Manchester Black and his team (The Elite). They are adapting another Superman story though, think a Wish List of mine for Season 5 is the writers read through Supergirl's 60 year history and come up with some story-lines from her comics (like an adaption of Sterling Gates 2008-2011 Supergirl run or his 2016 Adventures of Supergirl series).

- Episode 14 sounds good as Supergirl saves Quentin's life and then tries to convince him through her Superpower of words (perhaps backed up with some actions) that not all aliens are bad. The only thing that was disappointing was the anti-alien story-line appears to still be going strong by this episode and that has been fairly uninteresting (and too political) to me so far. Hopefully the Red Daughter story has started by this episode to provide something different.

So I have some uncertainty about what's to come but am really hoping for some good Kara/Supergirl story (and plenty more Superheroics) in the remaining 13 episodes of the Season.

Votes
Undo
An extended promo for Flash's midseason premiere dropped, yesterday. I'm hoping we get one for Supergirl.
Votes
Undo
Melissa's stunt double Jennifer Clarke posted on her Instagram a short video of her impressive stunt work from Episode 4.
References
  1. https://www.instagram.com/p/BsYtFXDgvmu/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=4v352o4nh0de
Votes
Undo
Thank you Argo and Sully for your concern. I’m fortunate to be in a better position financially than many of my fellow federal employees. I have savings and family and friends able to help if I need it. I have started the process to collect unemployment, which should we eventually get back pay will of course have to be paid back.

Argo you are absolutely correct, it’s not just the federal employees but the business (coffee shops, restaurants, bars, etc.) that depend on federal employees as a source of revenue. Contractors from the ones who make the big bucks down to the janitors are out of work too. I can only imagine what a mess the DC area is right now.

Admin delete this if it’s inappropriate. Members in the United States please let your elected officials know you want the Government reopened. Here’s a Link with contact information for Representatives, Senators, and the President. If you don’t know who your Representative is find out Here.
References
  1. https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials/
  2. https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
Votes
Undo
Sorry to hear that you've been directly affected by the shutdown, Brierrose. :( . I hope for your sake and for the entire country, it gets resolved quickly. Gov't workers are some of the most unsung heroes who exist.

I agree that announcing the CoIE so soon was a mistake. I understand it's generating hype but, I'm not sure it's the kind of hype that the show needs with it not even being mid-way through this season. I'm not concerned about the show getting renewed and maybe they'll impress me next year but, I've yet to see a crossover that's come close to living up to its hype. Instead of increasing the budget, let's just improve the writing and producing for all of it.

But, hey, we're only two weeks away from the ending of Supergirl's mid-season break! Surely, we will be getting some more info about Episode 10 before long. Maybe a new promo piece released??? :p :D
Votes
Undo
I’ve been asleep at the wheel so to speak. Breirrose I hurt for you as I live in DC and fully understand the impact of the shutdown. Truly, it affects over 4 million people whose livings are directly or indirectly impacted by the government. These include lodges, diners, contractors, etc. I am also from an immigrant family that has been immigrating here since 1909. Yes, the abhorrent chain migration!

But allow me to say this about our hero and her show. While I appreciate the EPS desire to deal with serious social issues, they need to remember that their primary purpose is to entertain. I really want to see more Supergirl oriented shows and less of a deluge of minor characters. The Supergirl comic book cannon contains more than enough storylines for the show to use. Single story episodes would be great.

I watch it because of Supergirl and I hope the show does not get trapped into some nighttime soap opera.

Argo
A journey of 1,000 KM, begins with one step.
Votes
Undo
To be honest if this show didn't have Supergirl (meaning it was about any other Superhero or Superheroine) I wouldn't be watching this season. I'm one who doesn't really want a heavy dose of politics in the Superhero shows I watch. Probably the main reason I'm enjoying The Flash Season 5 more than Supergirl Season 4.

What the show does have though is Kara/Supergirl (and she's the sole reason I watch). I just patiently wait for my fantasy (Supergirl being Super moments) to play out while enjoying her character.
Votes
Undo
You’re right kdogg you didn’t say “only”, I apologize for that.
Votes
Undo
Immigration and the treatment of immigrants is not just important to the people working on this show. It's a major issue in the United Sates and many other countries. It’s an important issue to many people for lots of reasons. I’ll refrain from an actual debate on the issue, that it’s an important and contentious issue is a fact. It's the main reason myself and 800,000 other non-essential federal employees are currently furloughed without pay. It's the reason that more than 100,000 essential federal employees are being forced to work without pay, imagine a private sector employer saying if you don't work your fired but we can't tell you when you'll get paid for that work. It's legitimate to say you'd rather TV shows not mirror real life issues but please don't say only the people making the show care about those issues. *end rant*

Whoa, Brierrose, hold up.

Nowhere in my post did I say "only" the people making the shows care about those issues. I just affirmed my knowledge that I understand that they care about those issues. I apologize if that wasn't clear. I have no problems with the arc, itself. I know the immigration issue is important to millions of people, and I've been a staunch defender of when Supergirl or any other comic or sci-fi show tackles social, cultural, and political issues. I scoff when people say comics and related tv shows should stick to just entertainment, because comic books have ALWAYS approached those very issues, and it'd be absurd for the shows they inspire not to.

I was merely stating that I hope we can move on to a different arc by next season. Just like arcs in a comic book, it's important to move on to a new story in regular intervals, to help maintain interest and bring something fresh in. And from an entertainment standpoint, having Supergirl's foes be normal humans is not the most exciting thing to watch, as there can't be a real fight. Supergirl has to be depowered, captured, or otherwise nerfed. Additionally, the difficulty in centering an arc in a TV show around a very real-world issue that DOESN'T have a clear or solid resolution means that it's TV counterpart also runs the risk of not having a clear or solid resolution.

Having TV shows like Supergirl show allegories for real life problems is important, especially for those in their formative years who are watching. Those lessons really stand out, and help them realize the importance of those lessons as they apply them to real life as they become adults. But I'll also say that I'm looking forward to having alien or meta-human villains, again, so we can have some awesome super-powered fights.

Any problems I've had, this season, stem more from the first quarter of the season focusing more on everybody EXCEPT Kara/Supergirl.

And replying to your other comments, I can understand your view that announcing Crisis on Infinite Earths DID pull focus from individual shows. And it will probably continue to. However, at the same time, it's generating a TON of hype, and that will help all the related shows get renewed, and likely get a lot more funding for next year when they do their Up-Fronts in May to get advertising money for the 2019 season.

Flash has always been building towards Crisis. That's front and center, as Barry's supposed disappearance in the event is why Nora came back. I think that Crisis will continue to be a foreshadowed and talked about issue in The Flash. But I think the other shows will continue on their merry way, doing their own thing, until the event actually takes place. There might be some scattered Easter eggs to build upon as it approaches, but I think that will be it.
Votes
Undo
In addition, while I understand that this season is an allegory for immigration, and it's important to the people working on it, I'm hoping we can get to something different by next season. I'm looking forward to the back half of the season. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward toi Crisis on Infinite Earths, more.
Immigration and the treatment of immigrants is not just important to the people working on this show. It's a major issue in the United Sates and many other countries. It’s an important issue to many people for lots of reasons. I’ll refrain from an actual debate on the issue, that it’s an important and contentious issue is a fact. It's the main reason myself and 800,000 other non-essential federal employees are currently furloughed without pay. It's the reason that more than 100,000 essential federal employees are being forced to work without pay, imagine a private sector employer saying if you don't work your fired but we can't tell you when you'll get paid for that work. It's legitimate to say you'd rather TV shows not mirror real life issues but please don't say only the people making the show care about those issues. *end rant*

As we all should the show should strive to be it's best at all times. Yes please to more of those brilliant moments.

Personally I think the EPs may have done a disservice to all the shows by announcing CoIE when they did. The next season of each individual show has in some ways already been overshowed. I'm already concerned the SDCC panels will have trouble focusing on the shows themselves. There were way too many spoilers for Elseworlds for my taste. Last November I wanted news on what was happening on this show and I had to wade through all the Elseworlds news to get it.
Votes
Undo
Happy New Year everyone!

I thought it appropriate to begin this new thread with Collider's All of 2018's Superhero TV Shows, Ranked. The site ranked ranked Supergirl #5 out of 16, higher than fellow Arrowverse shows Flash #11 and Arrow #6 LoT was ranked #2 and I'll throw in Black Lightning at #4. In addition a special bonus holiday mention was given to Elsewworlds.

[Snip}

I agree with their assessment that Supergirl is to be commended for stepping outside the box and trying to say something rather than coasting. This is a challenge to do within the confines of network TV and while we might complain the EPs and writers should be given due credit for taking this on. IMO they are doing a commendable job. This is still one of the only shows I watch semi-live and find myself rewinding to watch a scene again. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and beyond.
Thanks for that link, Brierrose. Happy New Year to you, too! That's an interesting read. I'm glad to see Supergirl so high on that ranking. I only have watched four of the shows on there. Gifted was one of them but, I was unable to last through the first season. I might have to go back and take a look at it again. I liked Jessica Jones, but it's a completely different animal - pretty dark and if you like that kind of thing, it's a fairly good show. I do have to disagree with Agents of Shield being put down so low. In my opinion, it's one of the best shows out there. And, while I can't really compare it to the other superhero shows on this list that I haven't watched, it's by far better than any others that I have watched and even competes very high with those I have watched outside of this genre.

I think Supergirl has always had moments of brilliance. I just don't see the consistency that I would like to see it have. If they could manage to put all of their moments together with more frequency, they would have a show that could really go into the history books as one of the best. I'm hoping that this season is the one that begins that process.

Well said, Sully!

I couldn't have said it better, myself. When Supergirl does well, it does REALLY well. I would like it to hit that consistency with more frequency, as well.

In addition, while I understand that this season is an allegory for immigration, and it's important to the people working on it, I'm hoping we can get to something different by next season. I'm looking forward to the back half of the season. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward toi Crisis on Infinite Earths, more.
Votes
Undo
Happy New Year everyone!

I thought it appropriate to begin this new thread with Collider's All of 2018's Superhero TV Shows, Ranked. The site ranked ranked Supergirl #5 out of 16, higher than fellow Arrowverse shows Flash #11 and Arrow #6 LoT was ranked #2 and I'll throw in Black Lightning at #4. In addition a special bonus holiday mention was given to Elsewworlds.

[Snip}

I agree with their assessment that Supergirl is to be commended for stepping outside the box and trying to say something rather than coasting. This is a challenge to do within the confines of network TV and while we might complain the EPs and writers should be given due credit for taking this on. IMO they are doing a commendable job. This is still one of the only shows I watch semi-live and find myself rewinding to watch a scene again. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and beyond.
Thanks for that link, Brierrose. Happy New Year to you, too! That's an interesting read. I'm glad to see Supergirl so high on that ranking. I only have watched four of the shows on there. Gifted was one of them but, I was unable to last through the first season. I might have to go back and take a look at it again. I liked Jessica Jones, but it's a completely different animal - pretty dark and if you like that kind of thing, it's a fairly good show. I do have to disagree with Agents of Shield being put down so low. In my opinion, it's one of the best shows out there. And, while I can't really compare it to the other superhero shows on this list that I haven't watched, it's by far better than any others that I have watched and even competes very high with those I have watched outside of this genre.

I think Supergirl has always had moments of brilliance. I just don't see the consistency that I would like to see it have. If they could manage to put all of their moments together with more frequency, they would have a show that could really go into the history books as one of the best. I'm hoping that this season is the one that begins that process.
Votes
Undo
Happy New Year everyone!

I agree with the ranking of Flash, the show just seems to be coasting at this point. While it's still enjoyable Cicada is not at all compelling to me and Barry doesn't seem to be using his brain. An example of this is he and Nora going into to fight Catlin's dad when he was trying to achieve absolute zero when Barry knows that cold is a speedsters weakness. In contrast when Kara went to Shelly island she had a plan to counter the power dampeners, why didn't Barry have a plan to counter the cold even if like Kara's it ultimately didn't work as intended. I also don't like that they have basically taken away Vibe's powers. My test of a TV show is do I watch it semi-live(record for long enough so I can FF through commercials) or days or days or more later and I'm no longer watching Flash semi-live.

I don't watch Arrow so I can't really comment on that show but I have heard people think this season is an improvement.

I disagree on Black Lightning, I enjoyed the first season and unfortunately season two wound up downgraded to being watched during winter break when nothing else new was on.

References
  1. http://collider.com/superhero-tv-shows-ranked-2018/#jessica-jones
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.