MEMBERS
  1. evrafter
  2. Motivator Smile Seeker Love Fool
  3. Supergirl Season 3
  4. Thursday, 06 July 2017
Just talked with Kiwi. We're totally down with teaming up to help keep all y'all up to date with all things Comic Con again this summer as we did last. We'll be scouring the Internet, youtube, and social media to find SDCC links, articles, videos, pictures and up-to-date news of our favorite Scooby Crew Superfriends.

If y'all come across something of interest, feel free to join in on the fun and post here.

P. S.... If any of y'all have Periscope, follow David Harewood as he's been known to broadcast them all live during Comic Con while at interviews, group photoshoots, meet-n-greets, and even before/during their panel.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Also, I see a lot of people blaming poor Jeremy for the Kara/Lena only being friends "comment." If you rewatch, they pretty much all joined in (especially Mel), and or laughed about it.

He may be getting singled out here but if you stroll through social media you'll see that he isn't there. And it goes way beyond the 'friends' comment. It was the excessive nature of that part of the 'song' that has people upset (myself included). The fact that they would openly joke about f/f rep (albeit non-canon) to that extent is hurtful to many of the shows lgbt viewers. That 'joke' transcends shipping.
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 161
Votes
Undo
Also, I see a lot of people blaming poor Jeremy for the Kara/Lena only being friends "comment." If you rewatch, they pretty much all joined in (especially Mel), and or laughed about it.

He may be getting singled out here but if you stroll through social media you'll see that he isn't there. And it goes way beyond the 'friends' comment. It was the excessive nature of that part of the 'song' that has people upset (myself included). The fact that they would openly joke about f/f rep (albeit non-canon) to that extent is hurtful to many of the shows lgbt viewers. That 'joke' transcends shipping.

Ten bucks says there'll be no apology from anyone. That was the final straw for me; I have no interest in watching a show with a cast that mocks me. I'm out.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 162
Votes
Undo
You are not LGBT and you do not get a say in how our community reacts to that.

Actually, Jordan, I haven't made any comments on HOW the community should react. Far from it.

I simply said, because I'm not involved in ANY of the SHIPDOMS...not part of any of the ARGUMENT....I was seeing the song from a different perspective. Sometimes when we aren't emotionally connected to an event, its easier to see both potential sides.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 163
Votes
Undo
there is a nice shiny thread 'state of the fandom' that everyone is welcome to continue the endless debate; but can we can keep this thread on topic plz.

Agreed. Thanks for the reminder, Rschick.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 164
Votes
Undo
there is a nice shiny thread 'state of the fandom' that everyone is welcome to continue the endless debate; but can we can keep this thread on topic plz.

As this issue arose at sdcc I see no problem with it being here. This really doesn't have anything to do with the state of the fandom as it isn't a fandom issue so I don't think we should take this issue there. But if someone wants to make a separate topic thread go for it.
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 165
Votes
Undo
But if someone wants to make a separate topic thread go for it.

I think Rschick is right on this one. It's a heated topic, and Comic Con vids/pics/articles/video links could easily get lost amongst the discussion.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 166
Votes
Undo
The cast answers questions about themselves. Always my fav.

1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 167
Votes
Undo
7 Things You Need To Know About Supergirl Season 3:

1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 168
Votes
Undo
Really enjoyed all of the interviews....looking forward to seeing all of the roundtables.

Agreed. Especially looking forward to Eric and Kelsey's since they know best what questions specifically we'd all like answers to. And because...well... last year, they had the best HD...nice and clear.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 169
Votes
Undo
Interview with Dug The Pug:

Welp, that answer the question about Krypto the super dog.

1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 170
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 171
Votes
Undo
Been skimming through some of the panel videos starting to pop up. Pondering a question now. They've said James gets a new love interest this season. Probably WON'T be Lucy, though we all want Jenna back. What if it's Reign? Though, not sure they would go with that since they already had Winn dating another one of Kara's enemies--Banshee. And then there's the real good chance, James would have to endure more girl/biochemically made specimen drama. lol But, at least with Reign, it would mean they don't have to bring in yet another character to find screen time for. Just thoughts.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 172
Votes
Undo
everytime the question came up, Odette got a side eye glare from some of the cast, i think its happening

I wouldn't mind. She seems to be perfect for joining the cast. Good chemistry with them all.

Poor James. Dude can't catch a break.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 173
Votes
Undo
I missed this one yesterday. So if DraftingDrafter, Rschick, or any of our other awesome peeps already posted, please forgive. But too juicy to take a chance not getting shared. LOVE Katie/Lena's role evolving...

And... I love the way she says Chyler. lol So cool
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 174
Votes
Undo
This just cracked me up. The cast really does just have a lot of fun...

1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 175
Votes
Undo
And these are from Fanboy Nation..

1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 176
Votes
Undo
Was anyone else a bit off-put by the "Daxam is the place to be" bit? That was......in very, very poor taste.

Up on examination, no.

Disclaimer: I am not talking from the POV of a black person, of slavery, and of Chris being a white man. I have no context being non-American.

Alright, read on.

See the thing is, I have always felt that the way they portrayed Daxam in Season 2 is extremely reductive. It reminds me of the British Empire and how in the 17th and 18th century Britain, the company portrayed India to fellow Brits. Any vice--and like any nation or community, India had its inequities--were played up and any good things--like the economy, the subsistence culture of the people, the friendships and esoterism were played down or ignored; and anything they didn't understand, they considered bad irrespective of the value it held to local people and local character (an example, same sex relations were neither a sin nor criminal in India until Her Majesty's government criminalised it. And, now, we follow that 19th century rule). They portrayed Indians as degenerate, children, in need of help; people who are incapable of managing their destiny.

And then they said, very kindly, that first the company and then, the British Government would be the folks who lift Indians up. (I think the same was used in Africa and other places too. And these days I hear a lot of Brits starting to say Empire was good. So, I am explaining.)

Does that sound familiar to you? Because it is exactly how Kara sees Daxam. It's exactly how Daxam is portrayed in S2. I found it reductive and poor writing earlier (no culture is that homogeneously bad; even Ancient Rome allowed slaves to become their kings). And.. that Mon El was allowed to be a part of the group only when he left Daxamite culture; even this thought that hey, he is not like other Daxamites, smacks of this thinking I have heard about in Early 20th century Germany. Not all Jews, you know (how, the exception just fueled antisemitism). There is a very good article on the use of Rebecca the Jew in Ivanhoe that talks about this point (and I couldn't find the link to it; sorry).

However, if you consider it from the POV of an enemy culture portraying something they hated as something unworthy, then, it makes sense. (Though, the creative choice to reduce a planet to only a slave owning nation still doesn't.)

And then, Mon El's attitude feels a lot like internalised racism.

In light of that, them acknowledging that Daxam is something to sing about is not wrong.

I don't like Kara-Mon El relationship: a. because it takes too much screen time and I would have liked them to explore the sisters relationship first, b. because I don't think it fulfilled the purpose it purported to do earlier, which is make Kara grow by addressing her racism, and c. because there is a clear power imbalance in favour of Kara; Kara comes across too often as a mentor. And Mon El goes along with her most of the time; and at other times, is too immature or too inexperienced.

But, I don't think everything attached to Mon El or Daxam is wrong. However, I can understand how it can be so for others. And, I sympathise with them. People, after all, read things as per their experience.

Sorry for kind of having this discussion here. But the question was about SDCC. So, I thought I can answer it.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Supergirl Season 3
  3. # 177

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!