MEMBERS
  1. Stewart Tick
  2. Love Fool Vanity Monster Sherlock Holmes
  3. Off Topic
  4. Saturday, 19 December 2020
Wonder Woman 1984.jpg

Wonder Woman 1984 will be released in North America on Christmas Day, both in theaters and on HBO Max. So far, it's gotten good reviews from the critics (especially in regard to Gal Gadot's potrayal of the lead character) and has an 87% favorable rating on Rotten Tomatoes. com.
Here's a review from Forbes that I particularly enjoyed (Warning - a few minor spoilers):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/12/15/wonder-woman-1984-review-gal-gadot-patty-jenkins-chris-pine-dc-films-shazam-aquaman-joker/?sh=2d03edd52464

And here's the opening scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUxMjPunUc

As for myself, I guess I'll be waiting a month or so to see it. I don't feel comfortable going into a movie theater until I get vaccinated against COVID-19 (which will likely happen next month). And I don't have HBO Max, which charges $15 US for a one-month trial subscription.
Attachments (1)
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I can see Brainy rebooting and going dark. I think it would be interesting to see him "infect" Kara - like in the comics- and let Melissa loose to go dark before recovering her humanity and mantel of paragon of hope.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
The end credits scene was a delight. I hope that somehow plays into WW3.

Sill glad Gal and Patty are up for WW3.

Agreed on both counts. Hoping for a more focused film, though. :)
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Well,the film still won't play on Microsoft Edge and I received no email back from the HBO Max's specialized support team.I dmed HBOMaxHelp with this yesterday morning...

Okay,it's been three days and your specialized support team has not emailed me more info/reslolution to the playing WW84 on Microsoft Edge issue.And the movie as of this morning Still Will Not Play!It still says,"Can't Play Title.We're having trouble playin this video.Please try again later.

Look,it this isn't resolved by tomorrow,I'll look at downloading Google Chrome in order to play this one movie(again,every other movie & show on HBO Max plays fine.Just this one thing).But I have to say that this is a epic fail from HBO Max. You shouldn't have to download a different browser in order to platy this one thing.If WB is planning to release all their big movies of 2021 on HBO Max than this issue with Microsoft Edge needs to be resolved because you are going to have a lot of angry customers again if the new movies don't work on Microsoft Edge when everything else on HBO Max does.Again,I'm giving you guys another day to resolve this issue about WW84 not playing on the Microsoft Edge Browser before looking at downloading Google Chrome.But at this point,I'm now very fustrated and irritated that as of Tuesday morning,this problem persisits,

They quickly dmed me back.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to let our specialized team know that your issue persists and if they could give you an update on your ticket. Thank you. ^RP

No email update came and the film still won't play as of this morning.So I had my tech support put Google Chrome on my computer a little while ago and the film plays fine on it so I plan to finally watch WW84 on New Years Day.

But this was a epic fail by HBO Max and as I said in my dm to them.This situation should be fixed for WB's next big release on the platform.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
"I think the original WW is the bar for the DCEU. I "personally" think it was the best film to date of all DCEU films"

Oh, I totally agree with you there!
Personally, I would give the first Wonder Woman movie an A+
Shazam would probably be an A- for me.
Aquaman I would rate a B.
The same for Justice League.
I haven't seen Wonder Woman 1984 yet, but it sounds like it will likely be in the A- / B+ range for me.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
"...on par somewhat with Shazam!"

To better clarify ... for me personally, I felt the movie was more "tonal" akin to Shazam! than it is to the original WW. It was my personal entertainment experience takeaway. I wasn't comparing overall audience scores.

Additionally, I think the original WW is the bar for the DCEU. I "personally" think it was the best film to date of all DCEU films, although Shazam! received a similar cinemascore and is one of the better DCEU offerings.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Someone on here mentioned the end credit scene...well not to offer spoilers...a certain someone who appeared on Supergirl makes a "wonderful" cameo in it.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
I can easily understand why Wonder Woman 1984 received a B+ rating on the Cinemascore audience poll. The audience responses seem to be mixed. My friends who are also comic-book and superhero aficionados are saying many of the same things that you guys are here - that the writing (particularly the main villain) and storyline could have been better, and it drags on a little too long. But those who are just casual movie-watchers are raving about it! (Including the nurses in my ophthamologist's office this morning.) It seems that they just wanted 2 1/2 hours of escapist fantasy - and this movie delivered that. So it certainly met their expectations.

"Still,I'd say it was one of the better DCEU efforts, on par somewhat with Shazam!"

Shazam actually received an A rating from the Cinemascore audience poll.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
I subscribed to hbomax through false advertising by Cox which suggested it was available through Contour on demand. Turns out, it isn't supported by contour and I could only watch via my tablet or phone. Sorry, not interested. Fortunately that was the same week they worked out the deal with Amazon fire stick. A quick trip to Best Buy, I was up and running. I have been streaming through the DC shows, Harley Quinn, Titans, and Doom Patrol leading up to Wonder Woman 1984.

I will try not to be spoilery, but stop reading if you aren't interesting in hearing about it.

WW84 is a b grade movie at best, add a plus or minus, but in the b range.. Not in the same league as the first WW movie, a first rate grade A movie. Still, I'd say it was one of the better DCEU efforts, on par somewhat with Shazam!

Maxwell Lord was a silly antagonist and drug the movie down. Diana gaining the upper hand felt like a very special Supergirl moment without Melissa’s better face expressions and more earnest delivery.

The end credits scene was a delight. I hope that somehow plays into WW3.

Sill glad Gal and Patty are up for WW3.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
Now people are saying to switch to the Google Chrome browser and it plays fine there.But I don't have Google Chrome on my computer and really don't want to have to download another browser just to play this one film.You shouldn't have to and quite honestly I worry it could screw up my computer.I read that Google Chrome can make computers run very slow on Windows 10.I don't know if that's true or not but it makes me nervous putting something new on the computer.Plus,I'm not very tech savvy.

That is odd. The latest version of Edge uses Chromium, the same base code as Chrome. I wonder what Microsoft did differently.

Good luck resolving the problem.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
I haven't been able to watch it.I've had HBO Max since its launch in May.The only place I can use it is my PC where I have Microsft Edge as my browser.Since having HBO Max at launch,I watched Doom Patrol Season 2 as it was released weekly.I watched all ten seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm and I;m currently in the middle of watching the Harley Quinn series.I'm in the middle of season 2.Went to load up WW84 on Christmas Day very excitedly.And I get this....

Can't Play Title
We're having trouble playing this video.Please try again later

…….against a Wonder Woman in her golden eagle armor backround.

By Sat.late afternoon,I was still getting this and decide to contact HBO MaxHelp on twitter.Apparently [u]everyone[/u[ trying to watch WW84 on Microsoft Edge is having the exact same issue I am.Every show and movie on HBO Max plays fine on Microsoft Edge BUT WW84.Everyone is getting the same message above that I have.

HBOMaxHelp asked me dm them my...
….
OS
Software Version & Build of browser
IP Address
Your Internet Service Provider
Bandwidth

...which I did.

A few hours later on Sat.night,they sent me a dm back.

Thank you for providing us with this information. We have raised this issue to our specialized support team. Our team is working hard on your request at this time. They will contact you via email with more information regarding this issue. Thank you. ^BT

So far,I haven't been emailed back and as of this morning.WW84 still won't play on Microsoft Edge while all other shows & movies on the service do.

Now people are saying to switch to the Google Chrome browser and it plays fine there.But I don't have Google Chrome on my computer and really don't want to have to download another browser just to play this one film.You shouldn't have to and quite honestly I worry it could screw up my computer.I read that Google Chrome can make computers run very slow on Windows 10.I don't know if that's true or not but it makes me nervous putting something new on the computer.Plus,I'm not very tech savvy.

I'm going to give things another day or two and then if I have to download Google Chrome,I'll use my tech support to make sure it's safe to put it on my computer and to actually do it for me.

But this whole thing has been very irritating and disappointing.HBO Max really needs to get this issue resolved especially if they plan to release all their big 2021 films on the service.It's a epic fail that this one movie only won't play on Microsoft Edge but every single other movie and show on their service does.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo

Without spoiling, I think our Supergirl actually tackled some of the same themes better than WW84.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and I wholeheartedly agree!
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Gotta be honest, as someone who LOVED the first one.

Wonder Woman 1984 was only "okay".

The actors involved all did wonderfully, but the problem on this sequel, it feels like, is the story. I'll go into detail more, once others have viewed, and if they'd like to discuss. But there is just a general sloppy lack of cohesiveness in several areas. Diana's character, her morals. The antagonist and their ultimate goals. The rules of certain plot points established in the film.

That's all I'll say for now.

It thought it was a step down, for sure. :(

Without spoiling, I think our Supergirl actually tackled some of the same themes better than WW84.

Enjoyable moments, though, especially the beginning sequence!
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
Gotta be honest, as someone who LOVED the first one.

Wonder Woman 1984 was only "okay".

The actors involved all did wonderfully, but the problem on this sequel, it feels like, is the story. I'll go into detail more, once others have viewed, and if they'd like to discuss. But there is just a general sloppy lack of cohesiveness in several areas. Diana's character, her morals. The antagonist and their ultimate goals. The rules of certain plot points established in the film.

That's all I'll say for now.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
The audiences that participated in the Cinemascore.com poll gave Wonder Woman 1984 a grade of B+. (They gave the first Wonder Woman movie an A.) But I thought the first Wonder Woman movie was an A+, so the new one will probably be an A for me.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 14
Votes
Undo
I loved the first one. Gal plays a great Diana.

I'm awaiting WW1984 with excitement--and a little trepidation. The 1984 setting worries me more than anything.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 15
Votes
Undo
Here's a review from Forbes that I particularly enjoyed (Warning - a few minor spoilers)

Spolier alert...I loved this review! One part that stuck out

It’s not remotely a “darker, grittier, more serious” sequel, flirting instead with kid-friendly camp in a way that will remind folks of (in relation to following a harder-edged predecessor) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze.

Or perhaps the late 1970's "WW" Lynda Carter TV show...or perhaps Batman '66-'68.

Maxwell Lord is...a failing businessman who wants to be as wonderful as his young son presumes him to be.

Frankly I'll take the Supergirl TV show's Max Lord myself.

The unapologetically gee-whiz comic book sensibility causes much comic book logic in terms of seemingly major events being brushed off and “that wouldn’t happen in the real world” plotting.

As far as I go, the idea of comic books is to try and take the reader AWAY from the real world even though Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman and Captain America (pre-"M" Company) were battling the Axis powers in WWII.

On Gal Gadot
She’s still a dazzling screen presence, and she shines when the hard work of being kind and decent conflicts with her personal desires.

The changes to the Wonder Suit are spectacular, more bright and Gal looks just as good as she did in the first WW film. There are some behind the scenes things online where she is seen goofing around with Kristen Wiig, dancing in her WW suit.

And then there is this feature I have seen where Gal and Director Patty Jenkins join Hans Zimmer and his "Wonderband" (which also has Tina Guo who did the first movie's theme and leading "The Glamorous Life...SHEILA E) do a new version of the song. This is from Water Tower Music (A Warner Brothers division) on YouTube.

1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 16
Votes
Undo
There are movie theaters open here in Palm Beach Co., Florida now. But I wouldn't think of going to one unless I had been vaccinated against COVID-19. (Our state has been hit hard by the pandemic this year.)
However, there are over a dozen hospitals in this county that will be receiving the Moderna vaccine next week. I'm over 65 and employed full-time as a public-school teacher (so I'm considered an essential worker). Since mid-March, I've been at home, doing "remote teaching" (distance learning), but I still fall under the guidelines for county school employees. I expect I'll be vaccinated sometime next month, perhaps by a school nurse.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 17
Votes
Undo
Stewart, great you think you’ll get vaccinated soon. There’s usually a way to get HBO Max for free for a limited time. If you’ve never subscribed before you should be able to get seven days free, enough to watch WW84 and depending on how much TV time you have a bit more. Warning on that I think I read that WW84 will only be included free with HBO Max for 31 days then it will cost extra for what would have been it’s theatrical release. So if you’re going to get a free trial don’t wait to long.

Even if I were comfortable going in one I don’t foresee movie theaters near me being open anytime soon. Unless WB decides to rerelease WW84 in the summer I’ll probably miss a theatrical run. I’ve got an offer for 30 free days of HBO Max through my cell phone account which I’m planning to start next Wednesday. I was going to pay for HBO Max for a month then cancel it so now I’ll have the budget for two months. The way I look at it is it’s the same price as a 3D movie ticket just not nearly as good but as a trade off I’ll get to watch other stuff too. I’ll take the vaccine when I can but I think that will be months from now. I’m younger than 65, no preexisting conditions and not an essential worker. I get it there are people who are and should be ahead of me.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 18
Votes
Undo
I have HBO Max so I'm looking forward to watching this on Christmas Day.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 19
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!