MEMBERS
  1. Sully
  2. Love Fool Sherlock Holmes The Voice
  3. Supergirl General Discussion
  4. Thursday, 09 November 2017
I thought that it might be nice to have one place to discuss the character of Reign as we progress through this season. While I'm a bit sad about the character turning evil, I am very eager to see the extent that the writers will go with the villain. She has the possibility of being quite the formidable foe for Supergirl.

Perhaps we can start with some facts about her that we know at the moment and add to the list as we find out more details.

I'll start a list and I can add to it later. Even though the character exists in the comics, I thought that it might be better to keep those facts off the list until they present themselves as we're not sure what aspects the writers will use from her comic book counterpart. But, feel free to discuss any aspect of the character.

KNOWN DETAILS ON REIGN

Human persona
- Name Samantha
- Adopted
- 12 year old daughter named Ruby (had Ruby when young)
- Father of Ruby unknown
- Known Lena for a long time
- Arrived on Earth when Kal-El did
- Estranged from adopted mother
- Mother found Sam in Krypton pod
- Turned to Reign after a trigger
- Seems to suffer type of split personality (doesn't recall actions as Reign)
- Loses time when Reign

Alien persona
- From Krypton
- Genetically engineered
- Connection with Alura
- World Killer
- Fortress of Sanctuary- in a desert, exact location unknown
- From a time before Fathoming
- Built to cleanse the scourge and deliver the Awakening
- Dispenser of Justice/Vengeance
- Believes that those who stand by and do nothing are guilty of crimes
- Seems to take orders from higher source (hologram)

Powers exhibited
-Super strength
-Invulnerable to bullets
-Super Speed
-Red laser heat
-Flight
-Super Vision
- Freeze breath
-Powers not dependent on yellow sun
-Not as susceptible to electricity as Supergirl

Weakness
-Pure form of kryptonite injected into body
-Psi and other telepaths
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Rewatching right now.

"Do you feel that?"

"Your pulse?"

"You are my heart."

That just struck me. I think it's interesting, perhaps a slight foreshadow that, in the end, Ruby will somehow help Sam be redeemed. Reign/Sam may still die in the end, but die as Sam... not Reign... because Ruby was the one thing unforeseen by the scientists.

Yeah I want her to die as Sam, after what she was put through , she deserves to at least know whats happening to her.
Votes
Undo
Rewatching right now.

"Do you feel that?"

"Your pulse?"

"You are my heart."

That just struck me. I think it's interesting, perhaps a slight foreshadow that, in the end, Ruby will somehow help Sam be redeemed. Reign/Sam may still die in the end, but die as Sam... not Reign... because Ruby was the one thing unforeseen by the scientists.
Votes
Undo
I think the idea of Sam as a facade will be the thing that the evil scientists were hoping for, but will be proven wrong. I want her to fight this. And fight this hard, and for us to see parts of her fighting it throughout the season.
We're on opposite ends for what we want to see happen on this scenario, SuperMatt :D

Moral quandary for Kara. Can she punch someone whose being brainwashed to commit terrible acts?
I think she'll be able to punch her but, the question is will she have difficulty finishing Reign off knowing the situation? The scenario would be almost exactly the same as her fight against Alex in Season 1 when Alex was under the myriad mind control. That's one reason why I don't want her or someone else to be able to talk Sam out of it; been there-done that already with Alex. Perhaps, this is where Supergirl's weakness is when fighting Reign and that's why Mon-El and crew have to step in.

I think the situation is more Bizzarro than Mind Controlled Alex. Alex was not brainwashed (brain washing is what is done to teenage terrorists); her body was taken over by someone else. That is why, apart from the fact that she is her sister and someone she loves dearly, that Kara had trouble with Alex.

However, Bizzarro was created as an antagonist for Kara. And, here too Kara had trouble. Not that she pulled any punches; but she tries to take care of her and redeem her.

I think she will feel sorry for Reign as well. But, I do not think she will pull her punches if Reign is a threat to other humans or to anyone she loves.

I am sorry for Ruby; and I am sorry to lose Sam. It might be interesting if Reign comes back and takes over Sam's life. What Lena thinks of her. I wonder if the "it is genetics" thing will have an influence on Lena. I don't want it to because "it is genetics" is a horrible eugenics based trope. Still, might be interesting to see her struggle with it.

Considering I am not that looking forward to having a teen in the fourth season (even though I feel sorry for the kid and the actress kid is good--she reminds me so much of my young cousin, I feel like I am watching her, which while I love her, I don't appreciate on a TV show), I'd be happy if the Legion did indeed take her to the future.
Votes
Undo
I think the idea of Sam as a facade will be the thing that the evil scientists were hoping for, but will be proven wrong. I want her to fight this. And fight this hard, and for us to see parts of her fighting it throughout the season.
We're on opposite ends for what we want to see happen on this scenario, SuperMatt :D

Moral quandary for Kara. Can she punch someone whose being brainwashed to commit terrible acts?
I think she'll be able to punch her but, the question is will she have difficulty finishing Reign off knowing the situation? The scenario would be almost exactly the same as her fight against Alex in Season 1 when Alex was under the myriad mind control. That's one reason why I don't want her or someone else to be able to talk Sam out of it; been there-done that already with Alex. Perhaps, this is where Supergirl's weakness is when fighting Reign and that's why Mon-El and crew have to step in.

I think thats what I was trying to get at. If you put Reign for prison with a life sentence, your condemning Sam to a life sentence too, although she did nothing to deserve it. As for Sam becoming a hero after? I dont think so. I think it may be something they have set up for Ruby in the future. You can age her up by taking her to the Legion in the future for safety, bring her back '7 years later' or whatever the age world killers get their powers.

Anyhow I do think the 'offspring was an unfortunate error' line may come back to bite the evil scientists. Its just me but I think Ruby might be able to have the powers without the programming or whatever.
Votes
Undo
I gues we need to prepare for tears. Sam turning into Reign will not be pretty and the impact on the people who love her will be devastating. And the fans...... Odette is really doing a fantastic job and I cannot wait to see the black side of her. Still there are tears.

Argo
A journey of 1,000 KM, begins with one step.
Votes
Undo
Another rumor going around is that Sam could take on the persona of Super Woman....I think this is unlikely, but Jenna Dewan Tatum did say that she was positive about them moving her towards Super Woman, of course this was before the move to the CW and her having to bow out....so maybe that is something they have had in the back of their minds. Again, I don't think this is going to happen, but it would be pretty interesting. Just more speculation however, nothing in stone.
Votes
Undo
I think people are wrong in saying she is brainwashed.....she isn't brainwashed, this is a part of her DNA, it is what she was created to do. No brainwashing involved, she was created as a World Killer, not a Krytonian who is later brainwashed. She simply had something physically happen to her that blocked the final phase, and that was having her daughter. NOW, does that mean that her daughter could be used to bring her around? Sure, I hope that doesn't happen....I want her to be who she was created to be, no matter how tough it will be to watch her change and how hard it will be for Ruby. HOWEVER, it is also going to be the catalyst for some awesome acting, so I can't wait. But, she isn't brainwashed, she was created to be what she is turning into now.
Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo
So, after the"Wake Up" episode, we find out a few details:

Sam was a teenager when she had Ruby.
Sam's mother (I can't remember her name??) didn't want Sam to carry Ruby; the two had a falling out and they became estranged.
Sam's mom found Sam in the pod and most likely knew that she was an alien but, didn't tell Sam.

Reign is a World Killer and has been switched on after a hologram communication with a scientist (??) from Krypton.
We see Reign's Fortress of Sanctuary and that it is in a desert somewhere. (Was that California? Not sure that Vancouver has any deserts ;)).

So, a question that I have is, was the hologram supposed to be a living being? How was it able to actually converse with Sam?

Initially, I was a bit let down with how easily and quickly Sam converted into Reign but, after thinking about it, it is logically probably for the best. Time-wise, the writers needed to get the story pushed into high gear. Plus, perhaps they wanted to show the viewer that Sam's transformation can be turned off and on quickly and that maybe the Sam persona will be switched back for her trip back home. Or, on the other end, maybe it was to let us know that the persona of Sam was really only a flimsy facade that has now been completely shed:)

Very excited to see Reign and Supergirl!

Votes
Undo
So, after the"Wake Up" episode, we find out a few details:

Sam was a teenager when she had Ruby.
Sam's mother (I can't remember her name??) didn't want Sam to carry Ruby; the two had a falling out and they became estranged.
Sam's mom found Sam in the pod and most likely knew that she was an alien but, didn't tell Sam.

Reign is a World Killer and has been switched on after a hologram communication with a scientist (??) from Krypton.
We see Reign's Fortress of Sanctuary and that it is in a desert somewhere. (Was that California? Not sure that Vancouver has any deserts ;)).

So, a question that I have is, was the hologram supposed to be a living being? How was it able to actually converse with Sam?

Initially, I was a bit let down with how easily and quickly Sam converted into Reign but, after thinking about it, it is logically probably for the best. Time-wise, the writers needed to get the story pushed into high gear. Plus, perhaps they wanted to show the viewer that Sam's transformation can be turned off and on quickly and that maybe the Sam persona will be switched back for her trip back home. Or, on the other end, maybe it was to let us know that the persona of Sam was really only a flimsy facade that has now been completely shed:)

Very excited to see Reign and Supergirl!
Votes
Undo
Hence, they can't talk to people in this timeline; which would explain his being unable to prove to Kara who he is.
Votes
Undo
If Mon-El is from the future, it will be interesting to see what, if any, other bits of information are disclosed. In every time travel episode that I have seen, one of the main premises stressed is to always maintain the timeline, even if the events taking place are detrimental to that point of time. If indeed, Mon-El and other Justice League members are back to help stop Reign, then that would be a major interference in historical events. So, I'm curious whether the writers would show any fall-out from that intrusion with the timeline.
Votes
Undo
So obviously too early to tell about what their mission is, but the next week teaser for 'wake up' all but confirmed the pod in the ocean is the Legion. Mon el has a beard, and he's back in deo Containment, saying he needs Kara to listen to him.

Im calling it. The Legion are here for Sam.
I'm not up to speed with the Legion and their connection to Reign. How are they aware that Reign exists? Also, I have seen references to Mon-El coming back from the future. Where does that idea stem from?

In comics, Mon-El eventually traveled to the future, and wound up working with the superheroes of that time, known as the Legion of Superheroes. Saturn Girl is one of them, and she's part of the cast of next episode.

People have speculated this since Mon-El's ship went into a wormhole at the end of last season, that he wound up in the future with the Legion.
So, then they would know Reign because they are from the future. Does the Legion not exist in Supergirl's present day?

No. The whole story behind the Legion of Superheroes, from what I recall, is that they are based in the 30th century, and are formed by members from several different planets and alien races.

So no, the Legion has never existed in "present day" in any iteration. It's members visit the present, from time to time, via time travel. But present day has never been their home.
Votes
Undo
So obviously too early to tell about what their mission is, but the next week teaser for 'wake up' all but confirmed the pod in the ocean is the Legion. Mon el has a beard, and he's back in deo Containment, saying he needs Kara to listen to him.

I'm not up to speed with the Legion and their connection to Reign. How are they aware that Reign exists? Also, I have seen references to Mon-El coming back from the future. Where does that idea stem from?

In comics, Mon-El eventually traveled to the future, and wound up working with the superheroes of that time, known as the Legion of Superheroes. Saturn Girl is one of them, and she's part of the cast of next episode.

People have speculated this since Mon-El's ship went into a wormhole at the end of last season, that he wound up in the future with the Legion.
So, then they would know Reign because they are from the future. Does the Legion not exist in Supergirl's present day?

No, as far as we know only Superman and Batman....
Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo
I cant wait for episode 7, not only for Mon-El, but based on my calculations Sam will become Reign that episode! Since that she wont be in episode 8 and obviously was not in episode 6 and in episode 9 Reign and Supergirl face off she will be Reign or at least become Reign in episode 7. And that makes perfect sense because in the bio/description it says that Sam will reach out to her estranged mother! I think that she will have the answers to provide Sam with.
Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo
They still could have used Kara's DNA, remember she was 12 when Reign was a baby....on Krypton.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!