MEMBERS
  1. Sully
  2. Love Fool Sherlock Holmes The Voice
  3. Supergirl General Discussion
  4. Thursday, 09 November 2017
I thought that it might be nice to have one place to discuss the character of Reign as we progress through this season. While I'm a bit sad about the character turning evil, I am very eager to see the extent that the writers will go with the villain. She has the possibility of being quite the formidable foe for Supergirl.

Perhaps we can start with some facts about her that we know at the moment and add to the list as we find out more details.

I'll start a list and I can add to it later. Even though the character exists in the comics, I thought that it might be better to keep those facts off the list until they present themselves as we're not sure what aspects the writers will use from her comic book counterpart. But, feel free to discuss any aspect of the character.

KNOWN DETAILS ON REIGN

Human persona
- Name Samantha
- Adopted
- 12 year old daughter named Ruby (had Ruby when young)
- Father of Ruby unknown
- Known Lena for a long time
- Arrived on Earth when Kal-El did
- Estranged from adopted mother
- Mother found Sam in Krypton pod
- Turned to Reign after a trigger
- Seems to suffer type of split personality (doesn't recall actions as Reign)
- Loses time when Reign

Alien persona
- From Krypton
- Genetically engineered
- Connection with Alura
- World Killer
- Fortress of Sanctuary- in a desert, exact location unknown
- From a time before Fathoming
- Built to cleanse the scourge and deliver the Awakening
- Dispenser of Justice/Vengeance
- Believes that those who stand by and do nothing are guilty of crimes
- Seems to take orders from higher source (hologram)

Powers exhibited
-Super strength
-Invulnerable to bullets
-Super Speed
-Red laser heat
-Flight
-Super Vision
- Freeze breath
-Powers not dependent on yellow sun
-Not as susceptible to electricity as Supergirl

Weakness
-Pure form of kryptonite injected into body
-Psi and other telepaths
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
People perform all kinds of complex actions under hypnosis, and then have no memory of doing them.

I think that's what the Fortress AI is for, to induce "post-hypnotic suggestions" that cover up Reign's activities while Sam is in control, allowing her a "hiding place" till all the pieces are in place for conquering Earth.
OMG, I think you’ve got it. That would explain almost everything, certainly enough for a TV show. So that would mean as the other Worldkillers awaken Reign would take over permanently.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
Votes
Undo
People perform all kinds of complex actions under hypnosis, and then have no memory of doing them.

I think that's what the Fortress AI is for, to induce "post-hypnotic suggestions" that cover up Reign's activities while Sam is in control, allowing her a "hiding place" till all the pieces are in place for conquering Earth.
OMG, I think you’ve got it. That would explain almost everything, certainly enough for a TV show. So that would mean as the other Worldkillers awaken Reign would take over permanently.
LOL. Look at us, trying to piece together some of our own rationale explanations for these gaps in logic because the writing doesn't do so.

Well, even though I'm wary of it being true because of past experiences with the writing, I really do hope that you're right on this one, Kenletwo.
Votes
Undo
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/02/06/supergirls-odette-annable-reign-redemption-death/

Odette says Sams redemption might not mean she survives the season.
Votes
Undo
I really think that Reign will end up a tragic figure. It makes for high drama and will grab us by the heartstrings. I believe Ruby will play a crucial role in this tragedy, and who knows, but Psi may make an appearance to move this along.

Furthermore, I wonder if the Legion’s real mission is to deal with the World Killers.

Just some ideas,

Argo
A journey of 1,000 KM, begins with one step.
Votes
Undo
I really think that Reign will end up a tragic figure. It makes for high drama and will grab us by the heartstrings. I believe Ruby will play a crucial role in this tragedy, and who knows, but Psi may make an appearance to move this along.

Furthermore, I wonder if the Legion’s real mission is to deal with the World Killers.

Just some ideas,

Argo
Psi was effective against Reign, so having her involved more in battles would definitely make sense. I suppose they don't know if they can thoroughly trust her but, on the other hand, they trusted her enough to take her to Fort Rozz when Kara didn't have any powers so, I don't know why they couldn't now.
Votes
Undo

Just some ideas,

Argo
Psi was effective against Reign, so having her involved more in battles would definitely make sense. I suppose they don't know if they can thoroughly trust her but, on the other hand, they trusted her enough to take her to Fort Rozz when Kara didn't have any powers so, I don't know why they couldn't now.

@Argo I agree the Legion’s real mission involves the Worldkillers. My current theory is Imra or B5 found out Kara died in the final battle but Reign still left for a time. I think the extinction Mon-El referred to is the Worldkillers return. Imra and B5 had to hide the information from Mon-El to keep him calm so they can save Kara and the future.

@Sully a strong psychic will definitely be a help but we’re all forgetting one psychic that unlike Psi is completely trustworthy, M’yrnn. Given his place in Martian society and his imprisonment M’yrnn is likely a stronger psychic than his son. I for one wouldn’t have an issue if the show said that as a psychic M’yrnn can do things that J’onn can’t. J’onn would try to talk his father out of getting involved but like Cat last season M’yrnn should be allowed to choose.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
Votes
Undo

Just some ideas,

Argo

@Argo I agree the Legion’s real mission involves the Worldkillers. My current theory is Imra or B5 found out Kara died in the final battle but Reign still left for a time. I think the extinction Mon-El referred to is the Worldkillers return. Imra and B5 had to hide the information from Mon-El to keep him calm so they can save Kara and the future.

@Sully a strong psychic will definitely be a help but we’re all forgetting one psychic that unlike Psi is completely trustworthy, M’yrnn. Given his place in Martian society and his imprisonment M’yrnn is likely a stronger psychic than his son. I for one wouldn’t have an issue if the show said that as a psychic M’yrnn can do things that J’onn can’t. J’onn would try to talk his father out of getting involved but like Cat last season M’yrnn should be allowed to choose.
Are J'onn and M'yrnn's psychic powers the same as Psi's? I got the impression that Psi had the ability to manipulate minds and make people see things while J'onn and M'yrnn can only read minds. But, yeah, if they can do that too, then it would make sense for one or both of them to do that. I do think that M'yrnn will play a big role in the defeat of the WK. Why else would they continue to show him in episodes?

I also agree that the Legion's real mission involves the World Killers and that it is likely that Kara's possible demise might be part of that mission.

@Kiwi- just because Kara possibly dies in the old timeline, doesn't necessarily mean that she would in this one. It's possible that something that the Legion does between now and then changes that outcome and still leaves Kara around at the end to be the one to defeat the World Killers.
Votes
Undo
Something I wonder about Sam and REIGN. In the both sides now Recap , tons of arguing about Lena figuring out Sam...but nobody analyzing what actually happened. Sam slipped into Reign after her fear and anger that she wasnt a good parent to Ruby...hence the "SILENCE" shout from Reign.

Also I wonder...Purity claimed julia was the fake one, would Reign be able to claim Sam never existed or not? Because (Well Id like to see them talking to a captive Sam/Reign like they did for Purity) and it would be very interesting how a captive Reign would interact with Ruby.

Although I hope for Ruby's sake she wouldnt be swayed by appearances as Reign is not her mother-Sam is. (I could easily see Reign tricking Ruby into letting her go if she ever got captured)

Although alternatively , I could also see Reign's attempts to claim she is the real one crumble if Ruby begs her mom to come out. (Since being reminded of Ruby was what caused Sam to take over Reign in fort rozz)
Votes
Undo
Something I wonder about Sam and REIGN. In the both sides now Recap , tons of arguing about Lena figuring out Sam...but nobody analyzing what actually happened. Sam slipped into Reign after her fear and anger that she wasnt a good parent to Ruby...hence the "SILENCE" shout from Reign.
You bring up an interesting point, SuperMatt, about Sam's short change into Reign when confronted about Ruby. Was her change due to anger about being faced with the questioning of her parenting or just the fact that she was questioned in general? Does Reign actually care about Ruby, too, or is she just ego-driven? When she has changed into Reign in the past, it has been because she felt someone deserved to be punished for their behavior. Maybe with this slip is showing her turning more into believing that she is god-like and shouldn't be questioned. Or perhaps it is just her anger as you mentioned. It brings up lots of questions.

The idea of Sam or Reign existing and being a parent to Ruby brings up another issue. I have difficulties looking at Sam/Reign and Julia/Purity's situation as one or the other. I see the personalities all being part of the same individual. Reign is a part of Sam and Purity is a part of Julia. It's who they are as a person. Purity telling Kara that Julia was in there was similar to what someone who has a dissociative identity disorder might say. So, I lean towards believing that Reign is just as much Ruby's mother as Sam is - just not the good version of her :D .
Votes
Undo
In reply to Sully, et al: I think we do not know what fully sets off Reign. We know that there may be a connection with her mentors at her sanctuary, but I wonder if there are other triggers. One of those triggers may have been her reaction to Lena. So here’s my thought: what are those triggers and is issues close to Sam one of them? If that is the case what does it say about the final struggle inside of Sam.

Argo
A journey of 1,000 KM, begins with one step.
Votes
Undo
In reply to Sully, et al: I think we do not know what fully sets off Reign. We know that there may be a connection with her mentors at her sanctuary, but I wonder if there are other triggers. One of those triggers may have been her reaction to Lena. So here’s my thought: what are those triggers and is issues close to Sam one of them? If that is the case what does it say about the final struggle inside of Sam.

Argo
I think it is very possible that there are multiple triggers. Could be issues close to Sam and could be issues related to her mission as an enforcer of justice. I was just thinking that we have seen both Reign and Purity. In both cases, their alter egos, Sam and Julia are good, caring people with close ties to others. Which, as you stated might play a role in the final struggle inside of them. However, we haven't seen the last one, Pestilence. Could she possibly be a wild card and not have that same type of caring soul and connection with others to start with and if so, how will her presence impact the trio when she joins and then, in final showdown? Just throwing it out there as a possibility ;) .
Votes
Undo
this week's Spoiler Room:
http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/15/spoiler-room-originals-imposters-svu/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

If Supergirl can sway Julia out of Purity, can she do the same with Sam and Reign on Supergirl? — Patrick
If Kara can — she probably can — it’s not something Reign fears. “I don’t think Reign is worried about her power in any way,” Odette Annable says. “That’s one of the reasons I love playing this character — because there’s no gray area for her. It’s very black or white. She sees something and she’s going to get it. She has orders and she’s going to get it. There isn’t any swaying her. She’s very decided, she knows what she needs, and that’s what she goes for.”
Votes
Undo

Just some ideas,

Argo

If their real mission is to deal with the World Killers, it might be helpful to defrost the other three members...
Imra: "What about Tommy and Gina? 'You live for the fight when it's all that you've got!'"

Mon El: "Bon Jovi."

Imra: "Or was that all a lie?"

Mon El: "No. He speaks the truth."
Votes
Undo
With the Freddy Kruger reference in the last episode and the idea that Reign has been waiting in an alternate, dream-like world, I was thinking that they might go the route of killing off Reign (the Kruger character parallel) while she was in that alternate reality. Since she and Sam have actually two different humanoid forms in that reality, it would be an opportunity to eliminate Reign and still save Sam. I think Kara goes into that reality in the next episode and if so, all of the elements to put together that kind of attack would be in play.
Votes
Undo
With the Freddy Kruger reference in the last episode and the idea that Reign has been waiting in an alternate, dream-like world, I was thinking that they might go the route of killing off Reign (the Kruger character parallel) while she was in that alternate reality. Since she and Sam have actually two different humanoid forms in that reality, it would be an opportunity to eliminate Reign and still save Sam. I think Kara goes into that reality in the next episode and if so, all of the elements to put together that kind of attack would be in play.

Agreed, the way they emphasized Reign lives in that parallel dimension did bring up a chance to save Sam without having to kill her body. I have a feeling Imra might try some psychic stuff to get to that dimension too.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!