MEMBERS
  1. evrafter
  2. Motivator Smile Seeker Love Fool
  3. Supergirl General Discussion
  4. Thursday, 24 May 2018
Update: How about we put all things related to Melissa's run on Broadway in Beautiful in this thread--videos, articles, personal experiences if you get to go, etc etc.

So begins Melissa's run on Broadway. Up up and away....

Stars In the Alley Announcement
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Great new interview of her Beautiful experience...

Votes
Undo
Hey, RobertAnthony....

Are you aware of this....

"Tamsen Fadal PIX11: Sunday on #BroadwayProfiles @TheCWSupergirl’s @MelissaBenoist tells us about playing @Carole_King in @BeautifulOnBway! It all starts Sunday at 6PM only on @PIX11News"?
Votes
Undo
Kara Lindsay is returning to play the role of Cynthia Weil in Beautiful from July 12. Of course with a first name of Kara it's totally appropriate she performs with Melissa for 3 weeks.

Melissa will be performing at Bryant Park in NYC on Thursday July 19, the event is hosted by 106.7 LITE FM, not sure if they simulcast it on the station (Lite FM 106.7).

I don't think WLTW, which is 106.7 Lite FM, would air it on the station, one of the NYC's most successful. But maybe something could come up on its website or social media. The many DJs will promote this event as it gets closer.
Votes
Undo
It was a good interview. You can tell Melissa really likes to keep her private life private, and with good reason.

I remember she once said that performing as a character is usually pretty comfortable, but doing public performances or interviews as herself is quite uncomfortable. I think that may be pretty common.

Ryan Reynolds said something similar. He deals with a lot of anxiety, but puts on a "character", very close to what he does for Deadpool, when he's doing interviews. It helps him keep that separation and beat the anxiety.

I speak in front of my students with no problem, I've performed in Musical Theater my entire life and have had no problems with jitters.....but when I have to speak or sing in front of my peers I have HUGH ANXIETY. It is horrible...and people don't understand it because they think that if you have no problem performing in front of 1000s you should be able to speak in front of a few 100....that isn't the problem, when performing you aren't "yourself" you are "someone else"....even singing live I feel that way, but in front of my peers its scary.
Votes
Undo
Good thing, Kiwi, that you didn't get up super early in NZ to try and listen to Melissa in Bryant Park. People are reporting on Twitter who are currently at Bryant Park that Melissa is not there, and that her understudy is stepping in. Melissa's super busy schedule must have hit a snag.

Still, I'm excited to see Kara Lindsay perform. Though, super bummed because I was stoked to see Melissa do more live music.
Votes
Undo
It was a good interview. You can tell Melissa really likes to keep her private life private, and with good reason.

I remember she once said that performing as a character is usually pretty comfortable, but doing public performances or interviews as herself is quite uncomfortable. I think that may be pretty common.

Ryan Reynolds said something similar. He deals with a lot of anxiety, but puts on a "character", very close to what he does for Deadpool, when he's doing interviews. It helps him keep that separation and beat the anxiety.

I speak in front of my students with no problem, I've performed in Musical Theater my entire life and have had no problems with jitters.....but when I have to speak or sing in front of my peers I have HUGH ANXIETY. It is horrible...and people don't understand it because they think that if you have no problem performing in front of 1000s you should be able to speak in front of a few 100....that isn't the problem, when performing you aren't "yourself" you are "someone else"....even singing live I feel that way, but in front of my peers its scary.

Kelly, I did not even know you did some singing. Now, I of course have Generalized Anxiety Disorder along with Autism Spectrum Disorder and am taking medicine for it. When I was in my church's choir before it got disbanded mainly due to the death of its longtime priest, sometimes my director Jennifer would ask me to do a solo. Despite me having other members of the group it seemed like i would panic. But Jennifer was there to help me through.

Want to know something crazy? There is only one song that I would have no trouble being at least a lead vocal on...our National Anthem. Though my voice is tenor, I might sing it like the late great opera singer Robert Merrill did before New York Yankees baseball games back in the day.
Votes
Undo
Someone was very naughty, it’s a big no no to use a camera during a Broadway show. Anyone seeing the show don’t do this. The last time I caught a show in NY, admittedly a few years ago, there was a warning that doing what this person did would result in an usher asking you to leave.

That warning being given what done is done and it’s interesting to see these short bits.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
Votes
Undo
Someone was very naughty, it’s a big no no to use a camera during a Broadway show. Anyone seeing the show don’t do this. The last time I caught a show in NY, admittedly a few years ago, there was a warning that doing what this person did would result in an usher asking you to leave.

That warning being given what done is done and it’s interesting to see these short bits.

Yeah. I've been to a few shows on Broadway. Was at Wicked before the show started, and was merely taking a selfie with friends up in the balcony. Now, I've done this same thing at several other shows with no problem. But this Wicked usher, who I suspect was perhaps new, or....just mean... Yelled at me and wanted me to delete all my pictures. Needless to say.... I did not. lol
Votes
Undo
Melissa Talks To Google: Beautiful on Broadway. 49 minute interview

Votes
Undo
Before it gets yanked off youtube, here's Melissa singing "So Far Away," along with some of her Brooklyn accent. No video.... just audio.

Thanks for sharing! These further whet my appetite for seeing her in person on August 4. I'll be at her last performance. I'm hoping she will do the Stage Door that night, but either way it will be a fabulous time I am sure.

Oh man, Superbill! Just so excited for you. Jealous. But excited.
Votes
Undo
Carole King herself was at tonight's (July 27) performance of Beautiful.

Yay!! Thanks for this, Kiwi. Just got out of Mission Impossible, saw Carole King was there, and was hoping to find some video so I could see Melissa's reaction.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!