MEMBERS
  1. evrafter
  2. Motivator Smile Seeker Love Fool
  3. Off Topic
  4. Friday, 12 January 2018
As it draws nearer, more and more Waco clips are appearing including Melissa.

Here she discusses her character... Midway through the clip:

http://www.paramountnetwork.com/video-clips/044clg/waco-meet-the-davidians
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Wow. That episode had me all kinds of angered!

I'm under the complete belief that take out Koresh, the FBI lead, and that a-hole agent in charge of hostage release, every single person in there would be alive today--minus death by natural cause or some other event unrelated to Waco. Three people... Three... created the ending.

Koresh TRULY showed who he really was when he ordered, "Now get out of MY chapel." That should have been a que for all of them to walk on out and leave Koresh's a$$ in there alone. And his comment to Tibs, "They are
MINE... *pause*....to protect"?? Wow...showing his true colors and they were so "brainwashed," they didn't see the truth of who he truly was.

But, not gonna lie... I may have said a little "hell yeah" at the B. Davidian's response tonight to the FBI at the end.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 101
Votes
Undo
@evrafter - It really does have the viewer go through an emotional rollercoaster, doesn't? First, I get so angry and frustrated with the FBI agents in charge and then I get completely blown away at how delusional and controlling Koresh was and that really makes me angry. I really just feel terribly sorry for the women, children and a few of the guys like Thibodeau and Steve who are trying to get out of the situation.
I'm under the complete belief that take out Koresh, the FBI lead, and that a-hole agent in charge of hostage release
Are you talking about the lead negotiator, Gary? I thought Gary was doing the best he could with what he was given.

A couple of things that I thought of while watching last night:
1) why didn't they (FBI) try sending a small group of people in to negotiate with them instead of doing all the communication from the outside? I think that if the lead FBI agent, Gary and the sheriff could have gone in to meet with the Davidians face to face, they could have reassured them of their safety, which seemed to be what was keeping some of them from going out. Anytime you can make communication more personal, it has a greater effect on the outcome.

2) I think that the producers took a few liberties to show the Davidians in a more favorable light when they had Gary question the allegation of child abuse. They already established that young girls had been abused and forced to marry David. I also read an article that stated a psychologist that dealt with the children who were released who said the children were taught at a very young age to carry a gun and march. Plus, they weren't given some of the basic necessities like running water, a toilet that flushed or toys such as a basketball, etc. While that might not constitute as abuse, I wouldn't say it was a good environment for raising children.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 102
Votes
Undo
@evrafter - It really does have the viewer go through an emotional rollercoaster, doesn't? First, I get so angry and frustrated with the FBI agents in charge and then I get completely blown away at how delusional and controlling Koresh was and that really makes me angry. I really just feel terribly sorry for the women, children and a few of the guys like Thibodeau and Steve who are trying to get out of the situation.
I'm under the complete belief that take out Koresh, the FBI lead, and that a-hole agent in charge of hostage release
Are you talking about the lead negotiator, Gary? I thought Gary was doing the best he could with what he was given.

Oh heck no! Sorry, Sully. If it were left to Gary and Steve they would have come to an understanding and release.

Gary is lead negotiator. That a-hole guy is the lead in hostage release. They're actually two different positions, and are SUPPOSE to work hand-in-hand. Obviously, the FBI lead and FBI lead of hostage release were complete spineless power-trippin jerks.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 103
Votes
Undo
Ladies, any word on Melissa's performance/Rachel's story in Episodes 4 and 5?.
I thought that Melissa had more of an opportunity in Episode 5 to shine and she did very well with that opportunity. She does such a good job using facial expressions and body language to emote that, even when she has few lines in a scene, she leaves an impression on the viewer. In this episode, I liked her in the chapel scene and really felt that she, as Rachel, was starting to pull herself away from David a bit.

@Evrafter- Yes, I think that the FBI tactical agent, Mitch, was the most harmful. He screwed up Ruby Ridge and then went into Waco on a real power trip. But, yeah, the top FBI guy was an idiot, too.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 104
Votes
Undo
I think Mel did a fine performance. Like Sully noted, she was very effective in using facial and body expressions. One scen that sticks out is when she goes on tape and talks about her father being killed and “thank you very much.” It is virtually an exact copy of Rachel in the original tape.

While I think the miniseries lags at times, the actors all give outstanding performances. I want to just strangle the HRT commander played by Shea Wigham. In summary, I think that Mel can a part, whatever its size, and build on it. She certainly does so throughout Waco.

Argo
A journey of 1,000 KM, begins with one step.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 105
Votes
Undo
I think Mel did a fine performance. Like Sully noted, she was very effective in using facial and body expressions. One scen that sticks out is when she goes on tape and talks about her father being killed and “thank you very much.” It is virtually an exact copy of Rachel in the original tape.

It doesn’t surprise me at all if there’s a tape of Rachel that Melissa would be able to precisely recreate it. Someone did a mashup of the “General would you care to step outside” line from the crossover and when Christopher Reeve said it. She has the exact same facial expression and look in her eyes. I like to think this is one of many times Christopher Reeve is smiling down looking at her performance.
References
  1. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3YMyS_IqZBQ
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 106
Votes
Undo

It doesn’t surprise me at all if there’s a tape of Rachel that Melissa would be able to precisely recreate it. Someone did a mashup of the “General would you care to step outside” line from the crossover and when Christopher Reeve said it. She has the exact same facial expression and look in her eyes. I like to think this is one of many times Christopher Reeve is smiling down looking at her performance.

Somewhere I saw a video of Rachel sitting next to David talking, and I have a feeling that was a portion of that particular video.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 107
Votes
Undo
Only just realised that Waco starts tonight ( I July) in the UK at 9pm on the Alibi channel. Not sure if this channel is available to our mainland neighbours.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 108
Votes
Undo
Only just realised that Waco starts tonight ( I July) in the UK at 9pm on the Alibi channel. Not sure if this channel is available to our mainland neighbours.
I suggest at least reading through this thread before watching. It’s not lighthearted viewing, lots of graphic stuff, and definitely not for children. I’ll be interested to know what someone who’s not from the US thinks of this depiction of this infamous event.
Hope, Help and Compassion for all
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 109
Votes
Undo
I still haven't watched the last 1 minute and 15 seconds....it is still on my DVR stopped with that left... since it aired.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Off Topic
  3. # 110

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!