MEMBERS
  1. Supergirl.tv Admin
  2. Sherlock Holmes The Voice Notable Answerer
  3. Supergirl General Discussion
  4. Friday, 14 July 2017
By now, if you are an active member in the Supergirl fandom community, you are undoubtedly aware that there is a lot going on with the Supergirl fan base. Division, attacks, collusion, planning, tweeting, posting, retaliation and so on. There is much that is dragging our fandom's reputation through the mud.

I want to give you a place where you all can come and discuss what is going on but I am going to set up some additional ground rules for this thread to help keep things more friendly because this could get out of hand very fast.

FIRST: There is a very easy tendency to make claims against certain groups that will generalize that group to a particular opinion. Please don't do this. For example: (Olicity "Oliver and Felicity shippers" all hate Laurel). That is clearly not true and no one could ever possibly know that. Its a sweeping generalization that causes those that are Olicity members who don't hate Laurel to become defensive. So please don't use sweeping generalizations in your observations.

SECOND: As much as possible, temper your emotions and take a moment to breathe before responding. We are discussing complex, difficult issues here. Issues that are reflected in the real world and have very real consequences. We are discussing topics here that have deep personal connections to a wide variety of people. You'll never know if your comment, however innocent you may feel it is, actually affects someone on the other side of the screen. So let's take a moment to note that these issues are very VERY complex and require care when brought up in conversation. Breathe and above all, be respectful.

FINALLY: My scrutiny meter on these posts is going to be at a maximum on this. If I feel, for whatever reason, that a post is in anyway hurtful, derogatory or attacking I am just going to delete it. I'll start tossing posts like Kobe hits three pointers (I'm not a basketball guy I have no idea if that analogy makes sense).

ADDITIONAL: (1) when speaking of LGBT+ to not make general assumptions about the community, especially for those not a part of it and (2) users who aren't LGBT+ should avoid speaking on behalf of the community.

Please be respectful and uphold the reputation of this site as a bright spot in the Supergirl fan community.
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Oh and on the note of the Kevin Smith twitter incident from yesterday, the man went out of his way and responded to a hateful tweet. He was not tagged in the original tweet by the op, so how he found the tweet...who knows. The response he got from angry twitter fans yesterday is all on him. I'm not sure what he expected to happen by responding to hate tweets; he literally put himself in that ridiculous situation.

That being said, I'm not advocating for those initial disgusting tweets, but I am saying that he should have never given them the attention they clearly seek.
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
Votes
Undo
Several abuse victims have said that he reminds them of their abuser. You think they're all delusional?

I would not know if that were true or not for them, I don't know them personally as I stated before, if they saw that as abusive, more counseling may be needed for them...again, I don't know their situation i don't know if they have gone through any kind of counseling...they might need to watch what they are watching on TV if that bothered them that much.........I can only go by what I have experienced myself in my internships, and the people I have dealt with through that....
Votes
Undo
Littlestar, don't bother trying to reason with Kelly. These people can be confronted with all the evidence in the world and they'll still turn a blind eye because he's a hot white man. Let it go.

That is hysterical...but honestly, thank you for being honest with how you feel about. Seriously...;)
Votes
Undo
Littlestar, don't bother trying to reason with Kelly. These people can be confronted with all the evidence in the world and they'll still turn a blind eye because he's a hot white man. Let it go.

I agree Littlestar. She's not going to listen so don't waste your breath or your typing in this case. She is apparently the expert on abuse and no one else knows anything.

All people are talking about SC hostility but no ones talks about all the Karamels that have sent murder gifs to people and called them f'in dykes. Guess its okay. I just don't like the generalization of saying that all SC are bad. Like the admin said we should never generalize a whole group.

Its not ok for them to do that to other people, you are correct. I totally agree...
When generalizing all SC, let me clarify...not 100%, not 95%, not 90%...not sure that I could even put a % on it. I actually converse daily with a few SC peeps...and enjoy it. But, I can truthfully say they are the far minority. As far as fights between SC vs. KM etc....in those cases, each can directly confront each other. These actors, writers, etc....can't do that. They can block them, and they have begun to do that...but they can't come out of the gate slamming it down....they just can't. So in fairness to them, it is not on equal ground, whereas a KM vs. SC is....that is just the nature of this situation.

As far as "my opinion" on the subject of whether this is abuse or not......honestly not a big deal, and don't take it personally......that isn't really where I'm coming from.

The reality of all of this to me is this....

1. It isn't about right or wrong here for me...you feel its abuse...ok.
2. What happens on the series this next season, is already underway, and was planned months ago and as they go along they will tweek it. I do not believe the writers believe what they were writing was an abusive relationship anymore than I do, so I don't for see any changes in it other than, Mon-El is elsewhere....the question is......who will he return as? that will be answered this next season. All of this gnashing of teeth, heads to the brick wall, crying and screaming on twitter and tumblr...won't change that. Because .... again, the writers do not believe what they wrote is an abusive relationship. That is pretty simple...
3. So for me, whether you believe it to be abuse or not....not the problem for me, difference of opinions...happens all the time......BUT for SDCC, the question is will the actors, show runners, and fans be able to enjoy themselves and do what they went there to do....promote the show and enjoy their favs....
4. You justify the anger on Tumblr and Twitter...ok...that is perfectly fine. Don't expect me to agree with it....but it is truly fine with me how you believe.....again, I'm talking about can the fans enjoy themselves at SDCC, can the actors and show runners do what they need to do, is there going to be a huge change in protocol because their is the possibility of major disruptions, will they be able to film in a way that they need to, and can they interact with fans in an enjoyable fun way....

Honestly...that is all I'm worried about at this time. I just want to enjoy season 3 next year with the actors and writers like we did in Season 1 without rude people disrupting it. Its just not much more of an issue to me than that. I have to say, Kevin Smith could not have described it any better in his feelings about what was being thrown at him yesterday....his feelings are exactly mine. *big eyes*, hands in the air, what the heck are you talking about?" That has been my thought process from the beginning....until it got to the point that the harassment was truly over the top.

if it is a huge issue for you, and you believe that it is abuse, he's a horrible slave owner, and a misogynist and has shown absolutely no growth as a young man...so be it. Write them letters, make videos and send it to them. Let them know EXACTLY how you feel. That is definitely your right.
Votes
Undo
Quick question for Kelly: who are the 'true victims of abuse'? Are you insinuating that those select few who have spoken against the karamel relationship aren't true abuse survivors? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I have the utmost faith that SDCC will go off without a hitch. The likelihood of any radical shippers being there is slim to none. We've all seen how terrible some of the SC shippers are but have some of you not experienced the things the rest of the fandom have said and done? Have you not seen the things said about Melissa's sisters just because the woman was interacting with SC shippers? What about all the negativity directed at Katie? Thank goodness the woman has no social media. How about the obsessive nature of the karamel fandom surrounding Chris and his relationship with Melissa? Poor David had to disable his comments on his last instagram post because fans are constantly harassing him about Chris; he's even commented on it. We've even had karamel shippers asking the SDCC panel moderator to ask about Chris/Melissa's relationship..I find that completely invasive, do you guys not? Some of Chris's fans have even gone after Melissa herself.

I do try to mute and block nasty fans online. But I cannot just turn a blind eye to some of the stuff being said out there. The amount of hate at the LGBT community is astounding, and it's all because of a non-canon ship! But because this isn't aimed at the people behind the show it seems to be swept to the side as if it means nothing. The hate coming from the KM fandom may not always be directed at the cast and crew but it is directed at real life people. There is so much hate/bigotry coming out of that fandom but we somehow overlook it and focus our attention to the other half.

Would any of the cast be proud of their respective fandoms? Hell no! Why would they? We have fans going after them and their families, fans being blatantly homophobic/racist and even fans throwing out death threats to other fans.

We saw that post with some of the stuff fans have said/tweeted and here's another source showcasing the rest of the toxicity of this fandom.
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
Votes
Undo
I don't think the point of this thread is to change people's opinions. Those are formed too powerfully by their own experiences.

It was my hope that we could share opinions and agree to disagree. Or just I don't know shake hands and part ways as friends.

Listen I don't know what the right answer is but until I am blue in the face, I just hope we can find peace in this.
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Votes
Undo
Kelly, not all abuse looks the same. I have provided a link to a tweet that I believe may be helpful if you are so inclined to listen. That being said, you may well dismiss the evidence, but I think it's worth a try.

BTW, I have seen that tweet...

And nothing I have seen in this series even touches the area of abuse either in a dating relationship, friendship, or marriage....and to think that it does...

1. disrespects these actors who would never stand for that...
2. disrespects these writers who take what they do far to seriously for that...
3. disrespects fans that would stand up strong against something like that if it were in fact actually a reality on the series.

Just to let you know where I stand on it.
Votes
Undo
I know that entering this forum post, we are already coming in hot from some other heated conversations that needed to be moderated before. Admittedly, I am spending so much time preparing for SDCC, I haven't moderated as much as I needed to in the last 12 hours. So for that I apologize.

As much as you are all able, I would like to ask that you all try and come in to this thread with a clear head and reset your emotions. I know this isn't easy but I would like to see if we can have a civil discourse on this very difficult topic

What I stated in the prior thread was exactly my feelings on this subject. Maybe it came off harsh, but I will not apologize for that, because it comes from what I have encountered and there is nothing emotional, angry or dramatized....it is exactly what I have seen. I think that for a long time there was a passive/aggressive nature to this situation....and I believe that is the reason it has been allowed to grow as much as it has....the fans that are not a part of an of these fandoms have stayed quiet...that time has passed. If there is a group of people, harassing a person, and 5 of them are heavily in the harassment and the other few are just standing by watching, and validate and justify the harassment either by saying its ok, or pointing their fingers other directions....they are still a part of the harassment in my humble opinion. What I stated was simply what I have seen.
Votes
Undo
Votes
Undo
Several abuse victims have said that he reminds them of their abuser. You think they're all delusional?
Votes
Undo
This in response to @Kelly saying I was playing the victim (in the other forum post)

I am and would never play a victim. I didn't think you were telling me not to be on this site. I was merely pointing out that my opinion is just as right or wrong as yours. Because no opinion is right or wrong.

Thank you admin for starting this thread. I was actually thinking of leaving this website for some place less hostile but I believe I will stick around. After all my opinion (on a fictional show with fictional characters) is just as important as everyone elses.

Your opinion has as much right to be stated as mine and is just as important.....but that does not make it correct.
Votes
Undo
Kelly, not all abuse looks the same. I have provided a link to a tweet that I believe may be helpful if you are so inclined to listen. That being said, you may well dismiss the evidence, but I think it's worth a try.

I have watched, rewatched....and rewatched again, this series. I have gone through extensive training in date abuse, spousal abuse, etc....

If someone was abused, and what they saw from this series bothered them.....they truly need more counseling....and I am being totally serious about that...more counseling is needed.
Votes
Undo
References
  1. https://twitter.com/savesupergirl/status/883519298777612288
Votes
Undo
Because that fandom is spouting FACT, when comparing a FICTIONAL character to an abusive, misogynistic boyfriend.....they are calling it fact. There are those of us who think that is ridiculous. I have worked with abused women, I know what that abuse sounds like, feels like, tastes like......I had a gun pulled on me by the husband when picking up a woman who was being abused, and I was stupid and did not follow protocol ..... I KNOW THE FACTS........and it is a complete disrespect of what these women who are married or dating who ACTUALLY WENT THROUGH IT... to call this relationship toxic and abusive. It is filled with ignorance and total lack of understanding and it is filled with people that are at this moment in a frenzied, angry, mob mentality against a young man who is simply doing his job, and you can say it is a small group within that fandom and I call BS on that...it is the central thinking and focus of this fandom, and it is the FANDOM that is toxic and abusive to the point of probably screwing up what could be a fun time with this group of actors at SDCC....not because these frenzied people will be there to boo, but because of the fact that the show runners and PTB have to make changes this close to SDCC, just in case to keep their actors safe. TO KEEP THEIR ACTORS SAFE....do you get that?

So you can keep on, bloviating on this scene and that scene trying to make a case that is just not there....but it is a waste of time. Because there is not a case to make. You can try and sit upon a righteous and mighty cause and think you are making things better on this TV series, but you are not....and this fandom is not....you are perpetuating the VERY THING YOU RISE AGAINST.

I would like more than anything to not equate you with this fandom, but as long as you agree with them, as long as you try and validate what they do, you are with that fandom, and I have absolutely no respect for people that take these things, something that is supposed to be fun, and totally turn it into something that it never was. It is disrespectful to these actors that believe in what they are doing, the writers that believe in what they are writing, and fans that believe in what they are applauding.

It blows my mind that you can even be a part of a website like this....if you feel so strongly that this series is applauding abuse and slavery, how in the hell can you be a part of a fansite that totally hypes the very series that promotes the things that you hate.

I've had it with trying to be polite, and understanding, and give you guys your day..........but that time has ended.

That is everything on the table from me....no need for me to repeat it anymore in the discussion.

I will say this, no where do I say, or have said that other opinions are not allowed. That is not my call, nor do I believe that any should be deleted. This is a combination of what I have seen and heard in my experience with all of this. And as I stated on the other thread....all of the ships annoy me....and most have been muted by me on Twitter....but this faction has a mob mentality now, and it is becoming an issue for the cast at places like SDCC. So, that combined with the unbelievable disregard for true victims of abuse is where my post comes from. I'm not angry, I am amazed at this entire situation...that has gone after the host of the SDCC panel, just yesterday went after Kevin Smith one of the directors (who to be honest, i still think is confused at why they went after him). Sterling Gates was mobbed on Twitter along with others...this kind of stuff has to stop. It is not getting the issue that this faction says is a problem anywhere. It is getting them blocked by the actors, and is keeping any kind of dialogue from happening between this group and the powers that be. What it is doing, is ruining a series for the fans that have loved it from its beginnings and still loves it today....because they will not be able to have the time with the actors that they have had in the past.

I saw on twitter today, some of the coolest fans interacting with Floriana and Chyler, and they loved it. That was so good to see, and takes me back to what we had with these actors and writers before...my hope would be that when Chris is filming or Melissa, the two of them together etc...that the fans will be able to do that as well. I hope that the little girls that want to have their special time with Melissa won't have to listen to the rantings of a crazed group of people. My hope is that SDCC goes off without a hitch, and that the fans that are there just for the fun and enjoyment of it get what they dreamed of....and I hope it is a time that the actors can spend time with the fans that love them. My hope is that the anonymity of social media is what has increased the negative....and once face to face with these fine actors and show runners, that negative will be quieted. That is my hope...

If the other 2 fandoms are doing what I just described above, please, show me examples...do they fight incessantly with the other fandoms? Good grief yes, now that I HAVE SEEN FAR TO MANY TIMES. That is not what I'm talking about.....those fandoms can go off and fight all they want, I can mute them and move on. But the harassment of the actors, directors, writers and their families....needs to stop now.
Votes
Undo
I know that entering this forum post, we are already coming in hot from some other heated conversations that needed to be moderated before. Admittedly, I am spending so much time preparing for SDCC, I haven't moderated as much as I needed to in the last 12 hours. So for that I apologize.

As much as you are all able, I would like to ask that you all try and come in to this thread with a clear head and reset your emotions. I know this isn't easy but I would like to see if we can have a civil discourse on this very difficult topic
Votes
Undo
I hope whoever I responded to saw my post before it got deleted (the username was unfamiliar and I can't remember who it was. Bill something?). If they want to continue the discussion, they're more than welcome to do it here. But do NOT call me delusional.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!