MEMBERS
  1. Supergirl.tv Admin
  2. Sherlock Holmes The Voice Notable Answerer
  3. Supergirl General Discussion
  4. Friday, 14 July 2017
By now, if you are an active member in the Supergirl fandom community, you are undoubtedly aware that there is a lot going on with the Supergirl fan base. Division, attacks, collusion, planning, tweeting, posting, retaliation and so on. There is much that is dragging our fandom's reputation through the mud.

I want to give you a place where you all can come and discuss what is going on but I am going to set up some additional ground rules for this thread to help keep things more friendly because this could get out of hand very fast.

FIRST: There is a very easy tendency to make claims against certain groups that will generalize that group to a particular opinion. Please don't do this. For example: (Olicity "Oliver and Felicity shippers" all hate Laurel). That is clearly not true and no one could ever possibly know that. Its a sweeping generalization that causes those that are Olicity members who don't hate Laurel to become defensive. So please don't use sweeping generalizations in your observations.

SECOND: As much as possible, temper your emotions and take a moment to breathe before responding. We are discussing complex, difficult issues here. Issues that are reflected in the real world and have very real consequences. We are discussing topics here that have deep personal connections to a wide variety of people. You'll never know if your comment, however innocent you may feel it is, actually affects someone on the other side of the screen. So let's take a moment to note that these issues are very VERY complex and require care when brought up in conversation. Breathe and above all, be respectful.

FINALLY: My scrutiny meter on these posts is going to be at a maximum on this. If I feel, for whatever reason, that a post is in anyway hurtful, derogatory or attacking I am just going to delete it. I'll start tossing posts like Kobe hits three pointers (I'm not a basketball guy I have no idea if that analogy makes sense).

ADDITIONAL: (1) when speaking of LGBT+ to not make general assumptions about the community, especially for those not a part of it and (2) users who aren't LGBT+ should avoid speaking on behalf of the community.

Please be respectful and uphold the reputation of this site as a bright spot in the Supergirl fan community.
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Tweets like this are disgusting. Here is Floriana Lima promoting an event she is taking part in for our vets and someone takes a shot at her.

by the by, be warned SG cast seem to be blocking people who spew hate in their direction. Seen quite a few people now blocked by different people.

Looks like they took a shot at him, not her. I understand that there is some controversy surrounding Casey Affleck, not sure what it is though, but that's beside the point. That tweet was completely unnecessary, but I don't see it having anything to do with the Supergirl fandom (aside from the fact that Floriana is part of the cast).

Best way to not get blocked by the cast, DON'T SEND HATE.

Many of those in that thread began following Floriana because of the Supergirl series...that isn't the first time they have gone after Casey on a thread that she has started....she was off of Twitter for quite some time. It got pretty bad not long after the GLAAD awards and she took some time off...she has just recently really began posting like she did before, and I think the fun she had with #Sanvers fans yesterday on set was great for her, but this type of thing has been pretty tough I think.

At the very beginning of the Sanvers story, the tweets she would get, the stories that were being sent her way were just beautiful, from kids, from parents just so cool to read....and then it began to change, and people like you saw in that thread began to infiltrate those threads and it finally got to the point to where those stories got fewer and fewer, the hate got more and more and she took some time off.

That's awful. The fact that people are actively creating a disconnect between fans and the actors they admire is just beyond..

But can we really place blame on the fandom? I understand that those fans originated from it, but it appears that the hate being directed towards her and Casey has nothing to do with the show. This seems to be the case of people hating on her personal life choices.
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
Votes
Undo
I think what Jordan is trying to illustrate is that there are folks that feel that Mon-El was written in a way that showed signs of an abusive relationship. In fact there are documented examples of that.

Whether or not I believe that is the case, it is important to note that some in the fandom have this view. Just like all opinions, none are wrong. Everyone is going to get something different from the show. Jordan illustrates a segment that feels Mon-El was abusive. That illustration is important to this thread because we want to see all the angles here.

Perhaps this is a small part of the fandom where we can pause and say, "yes, I see that you have a different opinion, but I don't need to dismiss it".

I think what we are trying to do here is realize the trouble makers in the groups. Jordan isn't calling for SDCC to be shut down. People are literally planning disruptions for happy family events and that is what is not ok.

Let's all remember it's ok to have different opinions and still be fans
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Votes
Undo
Can we do one thing before proceeding!? Can others please stop saying there's a Supergirl "fandom" problem? Because there's not. Us SUPERGIRL fans are over here doin just... fine. Please leave the Supergirl fandom out of the messes and bickerings.

Please and thanks *goes back to enjoying other fans, views, theories, predictions, Supergirl updates, and all cast members*

I wish I lived there with you...... :(

http://i65.tinypic.com/1rs18z.gif

Oh there's AN issue...do not get me wrong. But peeps need to stop bringing in us Supergirl fans into all this shipper warfare crap. I, and many others, are getting annoyed that people keep saying the SUPERGIRL fandom has a problem. No...WE don't... SHIPPERS do. There's THE Supergirl fandom and then there's...

Sanvers
Supercorp
Karmel

Every overly heated, demeening, divisive debate involves these groups in one way or another.

Let's take a look:

When it was announced that Flo was NOT a recurring character for Season 3, attacks were slung everywhere that people, writers, exec prod were homophobic, or were simply gay baiting by writing Alex gay, or "buryng your gays," etc etc and that they were no longer watching such a show.

There's the literal hate for Mon-El by a vast amount of Supercorp fans. Aside from that, are the highly sexual or simply vile and/or foul mouthed laced tweets I've seen daily from Supercorp fans. Note... I said vast...NOT all.

And I have seen Karmel fans attack. In MUCH less numbers, mind you, and generally when having to defend themselves.

Amongst those groups lay 99% of the problems. From those groups come most of the hate slung comments--whether directed to other fans, the writers, the actors/actresses, or the show runners.

Yes... There are NON-shippers who don't like characters. That's how it is with EVERY show, book, movie, podcast. Ha... Max Lord wasn't everyone's fav last year. This year it's Mon-El. However, the contempt for Max didn't come CLOSE to the comments made this year about a "controversial" character.

The vile comments, the hate spew towards characters is coming from SHIPPERS not the Fandom.

Chyler once said, after being told Alex was going to be gay, the execs warned her she needed to prepare herself for an influx of fans. Where were those fans last season? Dare I say NOT Supergirl fans... SANVER fans.

I wonder what would happen if Katie McGrath left the show or was... Killed off... Or... Had never been cast? Hmmmm..... Just fyi... I LOVE Katie. I LOVE Lena and what she's done for the dynamics of the show. But my gracious... So... much... drama outside of the show. If Katie left, would, too, the drama?

Yes, shippers are passionate. Passion is FANTASTIC for a show. Us non-shippers are passionate. But please... Stop lumping the Supergirl Fandom as part of the various Ship Fandom Warfares.
Votes
Undo
Starlord, no one is claiming that nobody likes Mon-El. I think it's been established that people do like him; you're getting a bit heated over something that wasn't said.

And to say 'there is simply nothing wrong at all with him" shows your closed-mindedness to some of his faults. Every character in the show has faults, including him.

You can't be serious with this. Tons of people like Mon-El more then hate him. I believe Eric the siteowner here expressed liking him. Many people here posting liking him. Then there is the writers and producers. Melissa likes him. Chyler likes him she said in a chat interview. The panel moderator at SDCC likes him. Are you really saying its wrong of all of us to like him. Thats ridiculous and uncalled for. Because like many already said yesterday and today there is simply nothing wrong at all with him. He has changed in to a hero willing to sacrifice himself. He can't bear seeing Kara hurting,He selflessly put himself in grave danger when going into the alien bar with the alien poison to save them.

You need to step out of the tiny bubble you are living in and realize he has way more fans than you think. And he never owned slaves, or misgony traits either.

He is not the reason. The reason is some of the SC fandom. That has been acting extremely immature and selfish and with no regard for people with other opinions than them. They have taken their assults to the writers, actors just because they want to control everything. Its not right. They really need to accept that not all have their opinion and that there is also many that like Mon-El.

Although I realize his character is a big reason for the hate plaguing the fandom, I thought the thread was meant to focus on the bad behavior of fans, not him.

Mon-El is a very touchy subject here. There are some very passionate opinions surrounding him and I didn't want to see the discussion around the toxicity of our fandom and how to change it turn into an internet fight over him. That was my only concern.

Liking mon el is exactly the problem. This is not a simple difference of opinion. This is support for a character who CANONICALLY owned slaves, who sidelines Kara on her own show, who replaced a black man as Kara's love interest and who has treated her very badly. This is not a matter of "I like the Guardian storyline!" "Eh, i thought it was dumb." Those are differences of opinion. This is a matter of real world issues.
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
Votes
Undo
Tweets like this are disgusting. Here is Floriana Lima promoting an event she is taking part in for our vets and someone takes a shot at her.

by the by, be warned SG cast seem to be blocking people who spew hate in their direction. Seen quite a few people now blocked by different people.

Looks like they took a shot at him, not her. I understand that there is some controversy surrounding Casey Affleck, not sure what it is though, but that's beside the point. That tweet was completely unnecessary, but I don't see it having anything to do with the Supergirl fandom (aside from the fact that Floriana is part of the cast).

Many of those in that thread began following Floriana because of the Supergirl series...that isn't the first time they have gone after Casey on a thread that she has started....she was off of Twitter for quite some time. It got pretty bad not long after the GLAAD awards and she took some time off...she has just recently really began posting like she did before, and I think the fun she had with #Sanvers fans yesterday on set was great for her, but this type of thing has been pretty tough I think.

At the very beginning of the Sanvers story, the tweets she would get, the stories that were being sent her way were just beautiful, from kids, from parents just so cool to read....and then it began to change, and people like you saw in that thread began to infiltrate those threads and it finally got to the point to where those stories got fewer and fewer, the hate got more and more and she took some time off.
Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo
Let me say where I'm coming from....

When I found out that they were going to write a story line about Alex coming out as gay, I was so excited because it made me think of a very good friend of mine that I have taught with for years. She has had the same partner for over 25 years, she is a wonderful teacher and loves her kids so much. But, for almost 2 decades she kept her sexual orientation quiet, only a few of us knew. Slowly but surely the kids found out, and to her shock....they were fine with it, but she was very afraid of losing her job over it. That didn't happen, but I remember how hard it was for her day in and day out to not be able to "be", if that makes sense. Knowing this story line was coming also reminded of a teen I had in my class 2 years ago who was in the process of gender reassignment. I knew, some of her other teachers knew, and the students knew....as the process continued she moved into her Sophomore year and away from the teachers, like myself that supported at the 9th grade center. The gender reassignment was moving forward and we knew that along with a change in name, the change in her heart, her mind and soul had changed as well and we were in support of that...some teachers were not and I watched as Angel had to deal with the hurt from some of these teacher's comments. I had several young girls in my classes this past year who are gay, and they loved this show....everything about it, made them feel good about themselves. It was the coolest thing to be able to talk to them about that....

But, there is a faction out in the world of social media, that took that story and fell in love with it, it pushed them forward in becoming they are supposed to be....but there was another group that sent this show in a negative turn....I am so thankful that none of the kids above have any clue about the negative that has been thrown as this series and its writers. They loved Kara for who she is, and they learned from her, they learned from Mon-el's journey, they learned from Alex's journey...and they loved every single minute of it.....

I wish I had what they have...I did during the first season, but now I see a lot of ugly, ugly comments that have nothing to do with what this series, these actors, these writers, these directors stand for. it makes me angry....because I know what we had.

I came into this fandom probably one of the most positive people on this site...and after all I've seen in social media took so much of that away....and I can't unsee those things, and its not a minority, no where near it....it permeates every single bit of this series no matter where it is, no matter if what is being talked about is positive on social media, this ugliness permeates that....and its sad, because I'm not sure how we will ever get that feeling back again as long as these fans like that tweet and others are a part of it. I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel....and I honestly, have never said that before in my life. I know that this is just a TV series, but you guys have no idea the wonderful, sweet, innocent, huge conversations that it has triggered with my students....heartfelt, beautiful conversations. I'm afraid that if they ever seek out other fans on social media, that ugliness will be what they see.

I apologize for the rambling....
Votes
Undo
Finally, on a side note, kelsey and we're out and about today trying to buy up as many comic con TV guides with Supergirl on them as possible. Maybe we can get them signed at SDCC

Thanks for doing that, I assume you'll maybe run a competition for them but I would be prepared to negotiate a price with you to send one to me in New Zealand.

Note: I'm just referring to the TV Guide itself, doesn't matter if they're are signed or not, of course that would be an added bonus if they were signed.
kiwi, shoot me an email, I'll see what I can do. If we do a contest it might be for signed copies but if we have left overs I don't mind sending them to our non-US fans
Votes
Undo
Agenda seems to be a hot word that was lead to a bit of a land slide. I made some fast edits there.

Let me weigh in a bit. The tweet Kelly shared illustrates the shipping that is going on. I actually don't have a problem with it. It's like fan fiction.

What gets me concerned is the people, whomever group or non group, that are planning disruptions at comic con, harassing the actors and forcing other fans to have less access because of it.

The other day I saw someone tweet directly at Dean Cain that he should be fired from Supergirl for his political views. Why? He is a good actor and plays his part well. What does his personal life have to do with it.

It's that kind of thing that is worrisome

Imagine thinking someone should be fired from their job based on their political views. That is unreal!
Votes
Undo
Agenda seems to be a hot word that was lead to a bit of a land slide. I made some fast edits there.

Let me weigh in a bit. The tweet Kelly shared illustrates the shipping that is going on. I actually don't have a problem with it. It's like fan fiction.

What gets me concerned is the people, whomever group or non group, that are planning disruptions at comic con, harassing the actors and forcing other fans to have less access because of it.

The other day I saw someone tweet directly at Dean Cain that he should be fired from Supergirl for his political views. Why? He is a good actor and plays his part well. What does his personal life have to do with it.

That is my biggest thing as well Eric, that worries me a lot....I posted the tweet with a little um, fear...lol But it was the best example of the constant that I see on Twitter and what is shown to me from tumblr...and some of it, I could not post here.
Votes
Undo
He is not the reason. The reason is some of the SC fandom. That has been acting extremely immature and selfish and with no regard for people with other opinions than them. They have taken their assults to the writers, actors just because they want to control everything. Its not right. They really need to accept that not all have their opinion and that there is also many that like Mon-El.

Although I realize his character is a big reason for the hate plaguing the fandom, I thought the thread was meant to focus on the bad behavior of fans, not him.

Mon-El is a very touchy subject here. There are some very passionate opinions surrounding him and I didn't want to see the discussion around the toxicity of our fandom and how to change it turn into an internet fight over him. That was my only concern.

Liking mon el is exactly the problem. This is not a simple difference of opinion. This is support for a character who CANONICALLY owned slaves, who sidelines Kara on her own show, who replaced a black man as Kara's love interest and who has treated her very badly. This is not a matter of "I like the Guardian storyline!" "Eh, i thought it was dumb." Those are differences of opinion. This is a matter of real world issues.

Thank you for highlighting the problem. the problem is people that think they are of moral superiority to others and must save everyone else from some fictional character. I can assure you as an adult I dont need to be saved.

and btw Mon-El didnt own slaves. Everyone on daxam not named Queen Rhea was a slave. King Lar Gand disagreed with her and she killed him with impunity.
Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo
I think we've entered into dangerous waters here by bringing up this so called 'agenda' as it carries some serious anti-lgbt connotations. I think we should all step away from this asap.
Votes
Undo
thing is Mon-El isnt the real problem, he is simply the the current target because he happens to be in the way of an agenda campaigned by the supercorp fandom. Anyone in the way of that agenda gets attacked. I point to Jack Spheer played by Rahul Kohli as evidence who expressed his distaste for some of those fans because he received enough hate during his 1 episode stint to make a public statement.

I've been seeing this a lot lately, talk of an agenda. What agenda? I don't understand what people are considering their "agenda" to be?

For Lena and Kara to be a relationship on screen so they can have their ship

Well, I can say that there are 100s upon 100s of posts like this one....

https://twitter.com/luthorvause/status/886317678041935873 (language)

Most of the #Supercorp people tweeting that I have come across, and there have been 100s have this type of conversation going on in their tweets.

People can make of that what they wish...

So because some people are headcanoning dumb stuff (like that tweet) means that all the SC shippers are out to bring on the gay agenda? What about the people who dislike his character who are not SC shippers or shippers at all for that matter? Are they too pushing the gay agenda?? Are we really going to invalidate people's opinions over his character solely on the notion that some probably do want him out of their ship's way? I'd like to think the answer is no.
Votes
Undo
thing is Mon-El isnt the real problem, he is simply the the current target because he happens to be in the way of an agenda campaigned by the supercorp fandom. Anyone in the way of that agenda gets attacked. I point to Jack Spheer played by Rahul Kohli as evidence who expressed his distaste for some of those fans because he received enough hate during his 1 episode stint to make a public statement.

I've been seeing this a lot lately, talk of an agenda. What agenda? I don't understand what people are considering their "agenda" to be?

No, no, and no again. That is NOT true. I am a proud karolsen fan, and the reason I hate mon el has nothing to do with ships. Many others will tell you the same thing. This is homophobic BS that karamel shippers toss around to discredit antis.

no no no, you will not put words in my mouth, that is uncalled for. My sister is gay, my best friend is gay. I proudly walked in the march for pride so DO NOT come at me with that. keep it civilzed plz as I have not yet insulted or insinuated anything about you.

I would honestly hope you consider deleting this post as it is very offensive and disrespectful to me.
Votes
Undo

Votes
Undo

No, no, and no again. That is NOT true. I am a proud karolsen fan, and the reason I hate mon el has nothing to do with ships. Many others will tell you the same thing. This is homophobic BS that karamel shippers toss around to discredit antis.
Votes
Undo

Well, I can say that there are 100s upon 100s of posts like this one....

https://twitter.com/luthorvause/status/886317678041935873 (language)

Most of the #Supercorp people tweeting that I have come across, and there have been 100s have this type of conversation going on in their tweets.

People can make of that what they wish...it is no where near the only one, just simply the most recent.
Votes
Undo

For Lena and Kara to be a relationship on screen so they can have their relationship

no no no, you will not put words in my mouth, that is uncalled for. My sister is gay, my best friend is gay. I proudly walked in the march for pride so DO NOT come at me with that. keep it civilzed plz as I have not yet insulted or insinuated anything about you.

I would honestly hope you consider deleting this post as it is very offensive and disrespectful to me.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!