MEMBERS
  1. Supergirl.tv Admin
  2. Sherlock Holmes The Voice Notable Answerer
  3. Supergirl General Discussion
  4. Friday, 14 July 2017
By now, if you are an active member in the Supergirl fandom community, you are undoubtedly aware that there is a lot going on with the Supergirl fan base. Division, attacks, collusion, planning, tweeting, posting, retaliation and so on. There is much that is dragging our fandom's reputation through the mud.

I want to give you a place where you all can come and discuss what is going on but I am going to set up some additional ground rules for this thread to help keep things more friendly because this could get out of hand very fast.

FIRST: There is a very easy tendency to make claims against certain groups that will generalize that group to a particular opinion. Please don't do this. For example: (Olicity "Oliver and Felicity shippers" all hate Laurel). That is clearly not true and no one could ever possibly know that. Its a sweeping generalization that causes those that are Olicity members who don't hate Laurel to become defensive. So please don't use sweeping generalizations in your observations.

SECOND: As much as possible, temper your emotions and take a moment to breathe before responding. We are discussing complex, difficult issues here. Issues that are reflected in the real world and have very real consequences. We are discussing topics here that have deep personal connections to a wide variety of people. You'll never know if your comment, however innocent you may feel it is, actually affects someone on the other side of the screen. So let's take a moment to note that these issues are very VERY complex and require care when brought up in conversation. Breathe and above all, be respectful.

FINALLY: My scrutiny meter on these posts is going to be at a maximum on this. If I feel, for whatever reason, that a post is in anyway hurtful, derogatory or attacking I am just going to delete it. I'll start tossing posts like Kobe hits three pointers (I'm not a basketball guy I have no idea if that analogy makes sense).

ADDITIONAL: (1) when speaking of LGBT+ to not make general assumptions about the community, especially for those not a part of it and (2) users who aren't LGBT+ should avoid speaking on behalf of the community.

Please be respectful and uphold the reputation of this site as a bright spot in the Supergirl fan community.
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Actually it has become very clear and simple. Others and I have said various things which summed together, definitively demonstrates why it is not an attack on sexuality in what should be a logically infallible way. I used to self victimise a lot too, thinking everything is an attack on a group I belong to. Sometimes obviously such worries are well warranted, but in this case frankly there is no way you can make this into homophobia.

This was never the case of homophobia. This was a case of invalidating a large portion of their viewer audience. This was a case of mocking and dismissing a segment of the fandom. For a show that prides itself on being LGBT positive, this was absolutely insensitive
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
Votes
Undo
Actually it has become very clear and simple. Others and I have said various things which summed together, definitively demonstrates why it is not an attack on sexuality in what should be a logically infallible way. I used to self victimise a lot too, thinking everything is an attack on a group I belong to. Sometimes obviously such worries are well warranted, but in this case frankly there is no way you can make this into homophobia.
Votes
Undo
On a whole different note, for those of you with instagram accounts, please do Jeremy a favor and report this account. This person has begun harassing him over his being a lgbt supporter.

DraftingDrafter

I'm working on reporting,but they want a URL for where the harassment is taking place. Do you have a link or URL where any of the above comments were posted?

The comments are under his latest post
https://www.instagram.com/p/BW3_Q3jFMOO/?taken-by=jeremymjordan&hl=en

Also report the account too. There's a social media blast going out for everyone to report the account so anyone who can please help us out, thanks!
"Be wise, be strong and always be true to yourself." - Alura Zor-El to Kara Zor-El
Votes
Undo
On a whole different note, for those of you with instagram accounts, please do Jeremy a favor and report this account. This person has begun harassing him over his being a lgbt supporter.

DraftingDrafter

I'm working on reporting,but they want a URL for where the harassment is taking place. Do you have a link or URL where any of the above comments were posted?
Votes
Undo

DFZWu2tWsAAtV8x (1).jpg

DFZWvGaW0AEsHeZ.jpg

DFZWvozWAAAvyOd.jpg

DFZWvZPXgAAxsdO.jpg
Attachments (4)
Votes
Undo
How do you guys still not get that this isn't just about some dumb ship? We've moved past that. But since y'all wanna harp on it then let's. The 'song' was supposed to be a recap of s2. How is adding anything about SC considered to be part of s2? It isn't, because it's not real, it's a fanon ship. So why even say it? He said it to get back at those fans who have been complete assholes (for lack of a better word). Fine. But in doing so, he inadvertently disrespected all of those shippers who have been nothing but kind. Like I keep saying, he didn't just sing it once and continue, no. He sang it repeatedly and pretty much screamed it. I'm sure the SC shippers know that their ship was never gonna happen, let's be real here. But did those peaceful fans deserve this? Certainly not. Jeremy could've expressed his distaste for the ship/shippers in a different setting, but he didn't. He chose to go all out at one of the most public settings ever. His outburst has warranted some of the backlash he's gotten. I'm not condoning those people who have taken things too far, but I am condoning those speaking out against what was said and done.

You guys really don't see how 'it's an attack on the whole community' because YOU ARE NOT A PART OF THE COMMUNITY! You don't understand what we've been through or are going through. You don't understand because you're not us. It's like a white person trying to invalidate the issues affecting POCs; they'll never understand. So if you're not a part of the LGBT community, yeah, you're not gonna understand. If someone tells you that you hurt their feelings with something you said, what do you do?
Typically we apologize, say it wasn't our intention and move on. We don't start claiming that that person isn't actually hurt, they're overreacting and they're wrong. (If this is something you actually do then wow you're a pretty awful person). What I'm asking is that you all accept that what has happened has managed to unintentionally hurt people whether you agree or not.

Sure Katie said "for once, it's not here" but then she followed that up by immediately saying that apparently it is. She understands that fans interpret shows how they see fit. She doesn't find it necessary to invalidate anybody just because she doesn't see it personally. As far as Sanvers goes, that's a whole different story. Their storyline is obviously coming to a close. What kind of rep is that? They hardly get any decent screentime as it is and now they'll be gone. Great rep for wlw huh?

Thalolli: PERSONAL KINKS!?!?!?! Are you kidding me? That's is the most homophobic disgusting piece of trash I've ever read on this site. To call the idea of people wanting a certain f/f relationship a "personal kink" is despicable. Please keep your homophobia to yourself.

And again, THIS ISN'T ABOUT A SHIP! At this point I can repeat myself over and over again but y'all will just never get it. These actors do have a job to do, and that's to portray their character. They aren't meant to be out there publicly invalidating fake relationships. All that does is create unrest in communities and cause hurt.

Supercorp was never going to be given the light of day. Shippers know this, non-shippers know this. So what was the point of doing what they did? They did it to be mean to SC shippers and by extension mocked fellow lgbt viewers.

Why do you guys think it is that he feels shitty about himself? THINK!! If he truly felt he did no wrong then he shouldn't feel bad. But he realizes that he ACCIDENTALLY hurt fans. As a KNOWN LGBT rights activist, he understands how his actions hurt others, he gets it, but you guys don't. His second apology speaks volumes. Read that one if you haven't already. He sees the repercussions of his actions and has given a heartfelt apology. I've accepted his apology. Others have too. But that will never erase the fact that what was meant to be a joke turned into something all together hurtful.
Votes
Undo
Just shared by @fangirlishness. I started following, specifically for their SDCC coverage. So sad, because they were all seemed so excited to cover It... until today. I noted they started taking heat earlier in the day (long before the "song";)...

I follow them, very pro karamel. also they post a lot of stuff about other shows I watch.
Votes
Undo
Just shared by @fangirlishness. I started following, specifically for their SDCC coverage. So sad, because they all seemed so excited to cover It... until today. I noted they started taking heat earlier in the day (long before the "song";)...

Screenshot_20170722-225937.png
Attachments (1)
Votes
Undo
People overreact about something like this, send hateful comments, and wonder why the cast of this show continually bail on conventions.

Jeremy did NOT bash w/w relations, or anything LGBT. He has been championing LGBT rights for a long time. He cracked a joke about a group of shippers. Do you get it? A group of effing shippers. When did shipping become a life and death issue for people, warranting hate speech and threatening messages?

Kara and Lena have NEVER been insinuated to be more than friends on the show. Yeah, Supercorp shippers have wanted more, but that's NEVER been the direction of the show. And you guys now want to be hateful towards Jeremy Jordan because he cracked a joke at a group of shippers who have built a HORRID reputation for themselves because of the way they conduct themselves online and at conventions? To the point that even the CAST knows how volatile they are?

Seriously, I used to like coming to this forum, but it's ruined for me. Jeremy didn't attack women, or LGBT people. He joked about a self absorbed and self entitled group of shippers who've done nothing but create an absolutely terrible reputation for themselves online, through spewing hateful comments to the cast, creators, and anyone else who disagrees with them.

Now let me be clear. I advocate for LGBT rights. And I have absolutely nothing against the Supercorps shippers who have been polite and treated people with respect. Honestly, if they writers did swing the story in that direction, I'd be cool with it.

But when it comes to the Supercorp shippers who have contributed to the groups reputation by overreacting to every little effin thing (and some of you are on this forum), this rant is for you, and I have no sympathy for you. I'd be just as ticked off at the Karamel shippers, or any other group of shippers, if they had built the reputation you had. The very fact that the cast feels the need to watch what they say about a non-existant fictional romantic relationship between to characters...your entire shipping fandom is out of hand.

There is absolutely no reason Jeremy should feel so guilt ridden at the end of what SHOULD have a been a fun and amazing day, because of a joke he made.

Yeah, if he had ACTUALLY said anything hateful or derogatory towards women or LGBT people, then yes, I'd be angry. But you took a joke and blew it WAY out of proportion, and made a KNOWN LGBT rights activist fees sh*tty about himself.

These are people. Doing a JOB.

I hope you all are happy with yourselves. The Supercorp reputation is so bad, at this point, that I wouldn't blame the writers if they dismissed Supercorp straight out. Why should they reward the behavior that shipping group has shown? And as many of you can take offense to this post as you like. I don't care. But I haven't called you names, I haven't threatened you. I've even gone out of my way to point out that this post is NOT directed towards the peaceful and respectful SUPERCORP shippers. But the rest of you have ruined it for everybody. And I hope you all feel just as crappy as you made cast member feel tonight.
Votes
Undo
Kara/Lena (SC) were formed as a direct result of wlw looking for some form of representation. There is a severe lack of wlw rep in media so fanon ships are born. To invalidate rep that wlw are in desperate need/want of is ugly. That's where sexuality comes in to play. Wlw rep (as non-canon as it is here) has been disrespectfully dismissed as a joke.

Supergirl the show provided representation with Alex/Maggie. But instead people keep being pushy about a different pairing even though there has been plenty of indication from the cast and crew that this is probably not in their plans (including Katie saying "for once, it's not here", yes she added that of course you can make up your own fantasy, but that doesn't change that as far as she's concerned, as far as she knows it's not actually there). .

Nobody says you have to be satisfied with only Alex/Maggie, but the excuse that all you want is some representation rings pretty hollow when the show has representation. Not to mention several other shows, including shows on the CW and even shows in the superhero genre.

If people only cared about representation in general then it wouldn't matter if it is Lena and Kara. But that is not the case. Some people act like it must be this couple in particular and nothing else is good enough and everything that stands in the way of it must be destroyed.

If all fans were just "It would be really nice if that was the case" (or "I'm fine with it being fantasy only and I won't try to change what the show is doing";) it would be one thing. But there have a higher than normal number of fans who are belligerent about it and who attack everything that isn't their couple.

I have sympathy about feeling there is not enough representation for there to be a couple that fits your personal kinks, but to me it still seems kinda misleading to portray "I want a couple that hits exactly my personal kinks" as being exactly the same as "there is not enough representation".

For what it's worth I remember the Felicity/Oliver fanbase also had a reputation for being obnoxious and pushy about their couple. So it's not just a question of straight versus gay, it's not even about canon versus fanon, it's about the actions some fans (in a high enough number that it doesn't feel like isolated cases, but instead a habit) take.

Jeremy acknowledged that what he did was hurtful, so why can't some of you? If you can't see it then it's likely you're not part of our community. And if you're not part of the community why are you trying to speak over our voices?

Saying it isn't an attack on your sexuality to disagree with one specific couple isn't the same thing as saying you weren't hurt. It's easy for shippers to get hurt over shipper things.

For as much as you all talk about how hateful the SC shippers are you all need to realize the hate you say about them is just as bad.

The fact that some shippers act like anybody not sharing their ship view is a personal attack on them doesn't mean that it is "just as bad" as sending actors personal hate.
Votes
Undo
klanked39 has sense.

Right?
Votes
Undo
klanked39 has sense.
Votes
Undo
Aaannndd... To be very very clear... I'm not speaking to ANY one directly here. I'm seeing comments like under Jeremy's post and such that I'm trying to grasp.... Screenshot_20170722-221448.png
Attachments (1)
Votes
Undo
apology #2

he heard you guys. forgiven or not?
Votes
Undo
I could see being disappointed my shipdom wasn't the shared viewpoint of my favorite cast. But.... I'm still not seeing how it was an attack on anyone's sexuality.

Let's change up the characters:

One shipdom wants Mickey Mouse to be with Daisy Duck, not Minnie Mouse. Let's ship them Dickey. Dickeys push and push for it--even to a point of attacking guest actors who portray Daisy's ex... Probably named Donald. But Mickey is with Minnie (obviously, they have no good shipname). Now... Jeremy sings, "Daisy and Mickey are just friends... It ain't gonna happen. They're...just... friends." Now, I could see Dickies being bummed Jeremy wasn't also a Dickie. But, wouldn't it be obsured to say Jeremy must then hate ducks???

I am in no way making fun. I was simply just trying to use two different characters EVERY one would know who I was talking about.

I could see SuperCorp fans being bummed, even mad at the cast for not seeing the "ship" happen in the future. But I simply can't see how it was an attack on a whole community... Most of which probably don't even watch Supergirl.
Votes
Undo
The emphasis wasn't essential, but is very much justified. Again it's not about sexuality. He reacted to the fact that so many people think there is something between Lena and Kara, and placed the emphasis there. Once more, this isn't straight vs gay, this is canon vs a fanfiction gone wild.

If Jeremy had something against LGBT, you'd think he said something about Alex/Maggie long ago? Nothing but positivity about Sanvers came from the cast, know why? It's canon. Sexuality got nothing to do with it.
Votes
Undo
You guys really don't get it. It's nothing about his comment about being friends. It's the way he went about it. He didn't just sing it once and move on. He repeated it over and screamed it. That over the top response wasn't necessary. What do you guys have to say to those shippers who aren't part of the bad shippers?

Kara/Lena (SC) were formed as a direct result of wlw looking for some form of representation. There is a severe lack of wlw rep in media so fanon ships are born. To invalidate rep that wlw are in desperate need/want of is ugly. That's where sexuality comes in to play. Wlw rep (as non-canon as it is here) has been disrespectfully dismissed as a joke.

Jeremy acknowledged that what he did was hurtful, so why can't some of you? If you can't see it then it's likely you're not part of our community. And if you're not part of the community why are you trying to speak over our voices?
Votes
Undo

I do acknowledge it. But it's hard to forgive when this is the kind of stuff us lgbt folk live through on a day to day basis. And to get it from one of our favorite shows is painful on a personal level.

So if somebody says that certain two people are just gonna stay friends that insults your sexuality?

I think the jokes of being scared of the reaction of the shippers had less to do with the sexuality of the fans but instead with the specific bad reputation that these shippers have for their actions against the actors.

A lot of the fans who attack the actors claim that this is fair behavior because "every action will have a reaction", basically "somebody was horrible to me, so I'm justified in being horrible to all kinds of other people". And yet people don't take responsibility that if they act horrible on twitter or instagramm then that will also have an effect, like developing a bad reputation.

And yes, I think it is absolutely within the responsibility of the fan group to at least try to curtail the belligerent behavior of their fellow fans.
Votes
Undo
Saw the video. He did nothing wrong. He correctly addressed an over-agressive and over-assertive ship community. It was not an attack on sexuality. Answer this: If Lena was a male character, and he rectified that they were only friends, would that be an attack on hetero relationships?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be. So why would it be an attack on same-sex relationships? Is it more fragile and vulnerable than straight relations? I'd think not, because now that would be homophobic. If the two concepts are equal, then there should be no problem.

Those who demanded an apology from Jeremy in fact owe him one. It is blatant bullying, and he was nice enough to say sorry for something he did not need to. It is a violation of both the nature of the intended canon of the show, and his dignity,
Votes
Undo

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!